Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 wont open win2003 share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean0301

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2004
US
Hello all and first let me say thank you for any help you can give me.

I have a win2003 Small Business Server with 9 workstations and two printers attached. The clients are winXP, win2000, win98, and one win95 PC. The XP and the 2000 Pc are running great and can access all shares. The win98 and 95 pcs cannot access any of the shares. They log into the domain, the logon script runs, and then if you browse to the share you cannot open Word or Excel docs. So far I have verified that the domain policy on the DC is correct for win 95 and 98 (digital signing and so on). I set the share permission to full control for all the users, and set the security on the shares to full for the users that are attempting to access. I can get to the files fine as all of these users or as administrator from the XP/2000 machines but not from the 98 or 95 PCs. Word gives the error that the path is invalid and Excel says that access is denied. Im not sure if this makes a difference but all of these files were moved from a Novell 5 server that was replaced. I moved these files by copying them over the network and this seemed to go fine. Im struggling with why XP/2000 opens fine but 95/98 cannot. I also attempted to install the AD client on the 98 PC to see if this would help but the error remained.

Another wierd thing that leads me to think that this is a permissions issue of some sort is that the 95/98 Pcs also cannot copy files from the server but XP/2000 client can.

Any help would be appreciated, I am REALLY stuck here.

Sean, if your sharenames are longer than 13 characters, your win95 and win98 clients will not be able to connect to them.

ShackDaddy

The share name is common so I know that isnt the case. Any other ideas?

use the domain admin 2003 account via the win98 client

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back