Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 won't allow defrag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tybee

Technical User
Sep 24, 2001
US
I am having trouble getting system to read the floppy drive and now it won't let me even defrag. says that memory is low. Have 512 available and don't have any apps open either. Any Suggestions? Should i reload OS?

press alt+ctrl+del
and check the running programs
if u find a program u didn't open,close it
good luck i can help
mselim2001@yahoo.com

The easiest way is goto dos prompt do scandisk from there
then when finished come to windows do scandisk again
it should be completed 100%
after that do the defrag it will be ok
but disable any virus program or screen saver before scandisk & defrag
it will do

Try this:

CLEAN DEFRAG:
To defragment all your hard drives/partitions with no overhead (background programs running or TSRs/VXDs loaded), change to the \Tools\Mtsutil folder on your Win98 Setup cd-rom, and right-click on Defrag.inf. Select Install.

This will create a one-time entry (DEFRAG.EXE /ALL) under this Registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce

Defrag will start automatically next time you boot, before the login prompt, therefore before any other program loads.

reghakr

You probably have the standard FAT32 cluster size of 4,096 bytes which only applies for hard disks smaller than 8 GB. A third-party hard disk tool like Partition Magic allows you to increase the cluster size greater than 4,096 bytes per allocation unit.

The default cluster sizes are listed in the following table.

Hard disk size Cluster size
-------------------------------
512 MB to 8 GB 4 KB
8 GB to 16 GB 8 KB
16 GB and larger 16 KB

I had the same problem on a Win98 SE workstation having a 40GB HD. Increasing the cluster size solved it.

Thought I would give all an update on my memory problem. It still says that i don't have enough conventional memory to defrag. This after changing the system.ini file by adding "MaxFileCache=256000" and doing the defrag.inf in the win98 setup CD. At least the defrag attempt was made by the system when i rebooted but the same memory message came up and stopped the defrag. Surely, I need to do something else or I missed some instructions. I appreciate all the advice; I'll try more solutions now!

Have you tried to run defrag in the safemode?

Ejsully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back