Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 Updates get 'em while you can? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfizzle

Technical User
Feb 2, 2003
US
How would you go about saving all the Windows 98 updates to a cd?

I installed Win98 all important updates while I still was on DSL. Now that I am unemployed and can't afford hi speed internet it would be a real drag if I ever have to reinstall. Seems like it would take really long time to DL all the updates. I read that soon MS will no longer support Win98; I assume that means no more Windows 98 update page?

I wouldn't worry yet; they still provide a lot of online support for Win98 and even Win95 (Win1.0-3.11 users are SOL).

Check out and (only works in MSIE 5 and up).

And for a fun read check out where they completely gloss over Win 3.1 (and why 3.0 sukt).

I have all updates to win98se saved here because I am constantly re-installing 98 on my machines and on others'. I would suggest you do the same if you wish to keep it, although I really think there will always be plenty of us out here willing to give you anything you need for a long, long time.

...Mac

Humpty Dumpty was pushed!!

hey tterk, thanks! The second link is the best. I'm gonna download those to a CD for the future.

You can also go run Windows Update, click on Personalize Windows Update, and then pick Show Catalog. You'll be able to download patches for all their operating systems by selecting them, when you're ready, click download. Then just burn to cd and done.

Matt J.

Hey thanks for those links, tterk !

I haven't been to MS website in a while I always have a hell of a time finding exactly what I want there.

One of the local PC magazines (Australian PC User) recently published them all on their front cover CD. (Saved me an awful lot of downloading)

My question is how to work out which ones need be applied and in what sequence?

Cheers,
Brodie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back