Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 to WinXP pcAnywhere Conn Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIScjryan

MIS
Oct 15, 2004
CA
Hi guys,

I've racked my brain over this one...here are the details:

We have a Firebox X1000 set up in our main office, which we use for DVCP connections to our stores and VPN connections for our employees (via PPTP).

Two of our employees are running Windows 98 at home and Windows XP Pro at the office. They are able to connect to our VPN without a problem, however, they cannot connect to their XP boxes via RDP, pcAnywhere, or VNC correctly. Just a black screen (I know this one has been pummelled to death all over the net, but nothing I've tried works).

I have changed resolutions, video adapters, reinstalled all protocols and whatnot, reinstalled ALL these remote apps, re-created VPN accounts, patched software out the wazoo, ensured there are no software firewalls on either machine, anti-virus, etc. pcAnywhere version currently is 10.5, same thing happened w/8.0 and other versions.

The Win98 home machine(s) have no problem connecting to other Win98 boxes within the company, but seems to with every XP box.

I'm at my wits end, no idea where to go from here. I don't think this problem is specific to pcAnywhere (given the fact that the problem exists across all three remote apps).

Speedy responses are appreciated - the guy hasn't seen his kids in weeks!

Christopher Ryan
cryan.at.colemans.ca
visit us online @

What version of PC anywhere? and does the XP machine have the firewall enabled?

BENZGC

I know this might sound silly, but have you ensured that the host xp pc's allow remote desktop connections.
That the users who are connecting to these xp boxes are members of the remote desktop users.
Can the xp workstations ping the pc's which they need to connect to?
What vpn client are you using? cant say much about the pcanywhere side of things.

Yes, the host allows remote desktop connections, and the user is a member. They CAN ping their remote PCs, and they connect via VPN through a Watchguard X1000 firebox.

When they connect, they get just a black screen (whether it's Remote Desktop, VNC, or pcAnywhere). Stumped...

Christopher Ryan
cryan.at.colemans.ca
visit us online @

Similar issue here that is driving me crazy.

Firebox x700, client using Windows 98 connecting to the network using PPTP vpn. Can see everthing on the network, ping the hosts, etc. Cannot open remote desktop to any workstations or servers. Tried using RDP 5.1 and also the old MS Terminal Services client.

Everything works fine for the 2000/XP clients. I can re-create the behavior consistently by setting up a new windows 98 OS - fails to open remote desktop via RDP.

FYI,
-RDP works fine if you don't go through the firewall.
-PPTP users have full access to ANY protocols internally.

Appreciate any ideas.

In pcanywhere, I rectified a similar issue by going into options, remote operation, and disabling the host active desktop. Maybe this will help by getting you thinking in another direction. This does away with any of those annoying 3d screen savers that can take time to paint.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back