Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 Startup Error - "Volume had open files on it . . ."

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokester

Technical User
Mar 29, 2001
US
Have an Asus A7V133 system with Athlon T-Bird 1000mhz which replaced a K7V board. The hard drive already had my system (Win98SE) and data on it. Just installed the new main board and required drivers. Problem is that when I plug the Western Digital ATA100 hard drive onto the SEPARATE Promise ATA100 controller found on the ASUS A7V133 board, I frequently (more often that not) get a Windows 98 error (Win 98 is well into its startup as I can see my background and log onto the network) get a FATAL errow stating "The volume that was removed had open files on it. Next time please check first to see if the volume can really be removed.". I end up punching the reset button and after a long startup which included SCANDISK, the system starts up and works perfectly. I can move the IDE cable to the PRIMARY IDE controller and never see this message or problem. The Promise controller works just fine on other systems that I build when I load the OS and other software. It appears that it is just my system that was preloaded with the OS.

Any ideas ??? Not a big problem, as the performance of the HD is about the same on the Primary HD Controller.

Update! I seemed to have made it past the "Blue Screen Error", but now get a message stating "The validation code for CFGCOM32.DLL does not match. Reinstall virus scan". This error is recoverable as I just click OK and Windows continues to load. I have uninstalled and reinstalled McAfee Virus Scan twiced now, but still get the message.

Well it seems to happen to me also. I think that is is the software drivers. I have tried numerous times to download the drivers and cahnge them.... But no workiepoo

I believe thast it is a problem with the earlier boards, the newer ones do not appear to have the problem. I use thoise board quite a lot and love them

I did find out the problem is with the driver for the Promise IDE controller. It shows up on Device Manager under SCSII Controllers. Anyway, the driver that comes with the CD is "Version 1.60, Build 33". A "beta" driver is available from Promise that is "Version 1.60, Build 35". Though still classified as a beta driver, it has solved my problems. Other than this one problem, these boards are rock solid. They are all I use or sell anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back