Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 second edition - password function does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi,
I have a pre-installed Win98 (Second Edition ) on my Packard Bell Computer.
On start-up, the "username" and "password" dialogbox shows up on the screen. However, by pressing the ESCAPE button, anyone has access to my computer and files, without using a password.
( WinMe has the same problem, but I was able to correct that by using the F10, button,changing the BIOS setting. The WinMe is installed on my Compaq laptop)

I have tried using the same method with my Win98, using both the F2 and F10 buttons, but it does not work.

How can I protect my Computer and files against unauthorized access, using a password ?
Thank you for your assistance

You can't on Win9x. -Brad
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

-Best cartoon of all time :-D 'Spongebob Squarepants' [cook]

The only way that you can protect your PC from unauthorised access is to setup a password at startup from within the bios. Win9x passwords are only intended for setting up user profiles and not real security, for this you will need NTFS or similar

there is a way to do it. i'm not sure how it is done, but i have seen it on a win 98 box. if escape is used, you don't get access to anything and if an incorrect password is put in, it tells you so and brings you back to the login box don't let your schooling interfere with your education--mt

The solution to this is to get a copy of the Windows 95 CD. Search for a file called poledit.exe copy this file to your hard disk. Open the file and the poledit program will open. Go to the File and Open Registry. Two icons will come up. When you open one of them click on the small icon that says Network. In there you will have an option Network Validation. By enabling this you can resolve this problem. However if you have just the windows password it might not work. What you have to do is on your computer Microsoft Family Logon should be installed and then create a user from the Users icon which will be located in the Control Panel.

Best of Luck

If you have any problems let me know cos I did this on my pc quite a while ago.

You can set-up a password that will control access to your computer but to access the CMOS settings you have to press the DEL key rather than the F10 key during start up. Go to the set up passwords section. Please be careful here as you enter the password and make sure it is something you can easily remember and keep a note of it. Once entered such a password it can only usually be cancalled by electro-mechanical intervention on your motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back