Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 SE run from CDROM drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopHat2

Technical User
Jun 12, 2001
GB
Is it possible to run Windows98 SE from a CD ROM drive? I don’t mean all the time, it just seems it could be handy as a troubleshooting device.

I’m thinking that the registry and possibly win.ini and sys would have to be stored on the HDD, so I imagine the one question is:

How do you tell windows where to find these files?

What I am asking may be impossible, but I have a feeling there should be some way, and it would be an interesting experiment, and learning experience if nothing else.

I doubt if it would be possible as Windows is continually writing to the hard drive in a lot of different areas such as creation of temporary files, history files etc. There is also the question of the virtual memory, although a different location can be specified for this. I do not know of any way to change the location of the registry however, which as you say would be a major stumbling block

The question has been raised before and I could see its benefit if it would actually work. I believe it is possible if you only planned on using it on one system. Here are my reasons why I wouldn't even bother:

- Would run extremely slow, especially at bootup (2 minutes could turn into 15 easily)

- If taken to another pc with a different hardware configuration, it would simply crap out

- what's the advantage really? In the same amount of time it would take to run from CDROM, you could have restored a "ghosted" image of the hard drive...

*Note: For it to run successfully from CDROM, any dynamic files that Windows relies on would have to be located on the hard drive with registry entries specifying their location. Such files would include log files, swap file, etc.

RESPONSE to CDOGG.
1) The idea is for it to be portable.
2) Don't believe it would be a 15 minute boot-up if cut down ver of Win used.
3) Could use default display driver, believe it would work with almost any CDROM, HDD should work fine, any other hardware irrelevant.
4) "what's the advantage really?" Well it's a challenge for a start + could use Win apps for diagnostic purposes thus avoiding the long filename problem when trying to troubleshoot in DOS, could be used as a check as to whether a problem was Windows or hardware related, and I might learn a bit more about windows just by trying it.

TopHat,
I think what cdogg is getting at is that you would only be able to use this on one pc due to the necessary files that would have to be placed on the hdd. I'm not saying that it could not be done, but your talking about a lot of reconfiguring of windows. Plus you would have to place all of the ini files, and there could be others.
Also the transfer rate of the cdrom is much, much less than that of a hdd.
What about motherbored drivers? Unless you only use it on one machine, or brand/type of motherboard, windows will try to load new drivers and it will not be able to.
All different types of hardware use different drivers. You could remove all of the hardware but as I stated above, windows will try to load new mb drivers, and of course, crap out.

Why not get a small hdd and load the os on that and make it portable. Then you would not have all the hassles of having to load the necessary ini files and such?

Just my opion, but without totally rewritting windows, I do not see any practical way of doing what you suggest.

Thanks fedto, that is what I was getting at!

TopHat2,

I wasn't saying it couldn't be done. It can be done if you devote enough time to rearranging windows. However, the only way to make it 100% portable is to make sure that all "dynamic files" that windows relies on would have to already be located on the hard drive. Also, if you were to run windows on another system with a different modem for example, it would tell you "found new hardware" during the boot process. As you can see, it would then become time consuming and annoying to say the least!

Secondly, I'm not sure what you mean exactly by a "cut down" version of windows. Either way you look at it, a CDROM drive usually averages 12-16x transfer rates, or around 2 MB/sec. And that's only if it's reading in a straight line! If it had to read hundreds of files (as windows does) going back and forth across the cd, this could easily take a CDROM 5-10 times longer than a HD. A CDROM has one laser, a HD multiple heads. There are lots of differences that would make the disadvantages stick out!!

I'll say it again...why bother? Recloning from a disk image would be just as fast if not quicker. Forget using a bootable OS on cd as a troubleshooting tool, unless you've got the spare time... :cool:

Just a comment on the "cut down" version. There is a "Windows Light" version that certain programmers created for use in lower end computers. However, this concept doesn't really make sense with Windows 95 still available.

Regarding boot time with the hypothetical CD Windows version, it does not matter how "light" Windows is, boot time would indeed be horribly long. Also, you face the problem of the Registry and Swap files, in which Windows writes all the time. In addition, as you guys alluded, if the disk was used in a computer of a different configuration (different hardware, etc.), you might pack your lunch before you boot because Windows will have to install all that hardware and configure it during its boot process. Then, when it goes to reboot after all those installations, it probably won't boot because it won't be able to write those installations to the Registry! That is, unless it was programmed to write the Registry (and the Swap file) to the HD every time you use the CD. Which makes the whole thing impossibly impractical.
Butch

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts"

Windows need to write to itself on many occasions including when booting up. As a CD will not allow files to be altered the answer is no.
You can boot up from other media such as a ZIP drive or similar that is large enough.
Take control of your life, not someone else's

Here's how you could do it, but you won't like it. Install Windows on your hard drive. Burn a CD with the root and Windows directory. Leave your swap file alone. Leave it pointing to the c:. Won't be able to change the registry and it'll crash so often you'll probably end up coming after me to end my life, but it might work. Don Swayser
swayser@optonline.net

TopHat2,

Like we said before, we never doubted it was possible. The more important realization is the limitations you are faced with in using such a configuration:

1) Long boot times (undoubtedly)
2) Slow access while Windows is running (CDROMs are much slower than hard drives)
3) low compatibility with existing hardware devices

Sure, Windows might be fooled not to write to its registry or main system files. However, the trouble with this whole idea is that Windows needs to be dynamic if you wanted to use it as a troubleshooting tool - being able to change on the fly to accomodate new drivers and system files for applications.

Even if you just wanted to use it for troubleshooting, how good is it to diagnose hardware or software when you can't install anything?

In the end, it's just an experiment to prove a moot point...

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back