Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98/Router Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

salop

MIS
Jun 17, 2003
GB
Hi,
I have a query regarding a Win98 PC at a remote office that connects to our local database using ISDN line and DLink router. The query is why does Win98 force the router to dial every 4 mins with the call lasting 34 secs each time when the machine is not using the database. Is it win98 on the remote PC trying to browse the local network ?? and if so is there any way I can stop it (apart from turning the remote PC off when not in use!)

What applications have you got running in the background?

Something like that sounds as though something is being checked eg. e-mail and then ringing off when the action is performed.

All the best.

Appears to be doing it without any apps running unless there is something running in the background that I can't see. Definately not email as there is no email on the PC

Well if you have ruled out windows programmes running it must be something that the router is doing on its own.

Have you tried to access it to see if there are any settings that would cause it to perform this action?

A scan with a spybot wouldn't go amiss for your PC to make sure you haven't got some spy ware attempting to hi-jack your machine.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back