Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 Peer-to-Peer Network using NetBeui - Programs Hang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davin

Programmer
Sep 18, 2000
CA
I am running a small office network (4 win98 computers, peer-to-peer). All computers have MS File and Print Sharing bound to NetBeui and TCP/IP for shared internet connection(Cable Internet).

All computers can see each other. I get frequent program crashings (From explorer, word excel) when browsing, transfering or saving files over the network. Does anyone know what might be causing the problem and how I can fix it?

Get rid of the NetBeui. You don't need it for your peer-to-peer setup, and it is well known that NetBeui does not play well with others.

I am using Netbeui because I do not want to bind File and Print Sharing to TCP/IP because all the computers are hooked up to the net. It would leave stuff to open. Any other suggestions?

This is only a concern if you are using routable IP addresses on your PCs. How is your network setup? Is there a router between your PCs and the cable modem, or are you using ICS on a windows machine?

Neither. The other computers on the network are just using the computer that is connected to the cable modem as a Gateway.

I wasn't the one who set up the network so I am trying to figure out how it is setup exactly and what the best route to go is if I need to change anything. I've been doing a little reading and am wondering if I should change the network to use ICS instead of the current configuration. Any comments, tips, suggestions would be appreciated.

Does you PC that is connected to the Cable Gateway have 2 network cards in it?

Yup.

Heres the network configuration:

CABLE MODEM
|
WIN98-PC1(2 NICS)
|
HUB----------|-----------|
| | |
WIN98-PC2 WIN98-PC3 WIN98-PC4

Most likely you are using non-routable ip addresses on you internal PC's, with the routable IP on the Win98 machine that is acting as the gateway.

What I would suggest is going to the local CompUSA or Circuit City (or just about any store that sells networking stuff) and purchasing a broadband router. This will effectivley secure your internal network through the use of NAT, and will also eliminate the need for the one PC to be on before the others can access the internet.

I looked into my registry to see what services were being started and found out that the system is running WinRouter for sharing the Cable connection. Is it safe to bind File and Print Sharing to TCP/IP and get rid of netbeui when running WinRouter? Will the network sharing be inaccessible from the net?

The only way to insure that your computers are not accessible from the internet is to install some sort of a firewall (either hardware or software) between your network and the internet. By the design of cable-internet access, you, and several if not all of the people in your neighborhood are on the same "node", which is the same as being on the same hub. In other words, anything that you are sharing on your home computers, can be accessed very easily by the others on the same cable node. This is the reason that I am suggesting a broadband router and NAT.

What you have now is not an ideal situation. In order for your computers to access the net, your "router" computer must be turned on. If you are doing any real processing on your "router" computer, then there will be slowdowns and packet loss issues on the other computers on your network.

The windows ICS solution was designed to be used with a dial-up connection, and not with a broadband connection.

Once you get a firewall installed, then you will not have any issues with people getting into your network, unless you invite them in.

I have to concur with cyoung - Linksys makes one hell of DSL/Cable router for home use. It uses NAT, and you have an Internet Explorer like interface for port tuning., and set up, (Which makes for a very good level of security, like a firewall). It uses DHCP, too! I believe it can provide 50 addresses to clients.

If you already have a hub, buy the "One Port" version of the router, since you can connect your hub to the router - no need to spend the extra 70.00 or so dollars for the 4 port version. Also, NetGear, 3Com, there are a lot of others who now make these popular home-style routers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back