Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win98 pc won't reboot[b/]

Status
Not open for further replies.

heycomputerguy

Technical User
Jun 21, 2001
US
Hello,

I have a Win98 pc and I believe I was downloading Win98 updates. After a critical update, the pc would no longer reboot. It says it is shutting down and the screen turns black. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for you help!

Boot to DOS
From a dos prompt run the command SCANREG /RESTORE and pick from a previous date when you could boot up and see if it will boot up. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Thanks for your input. The pc will boot up and run fine. It just will not re-boot after installing for example, windows updates. Windows wants you to re-boot your pc, I tell it yes to re-boot. It shows it is shutting down and turns black, and doesn't come back on.

Oh..sorry...which critical update did you install? joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

I don't remember which update it was. However, we reinstalled Windows and walah...it works again.
Thanks for your help! [thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back