Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 Password dialog box

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAMedina

ISP
Jul 30, 2000
US
How do I remove the Win98 Password dialog box from the start up screen. I am refering to the box that normally contains user &quot;profiles&quot;.<br>Any assistance in eliminating this annoyance is greatly appreciated.

set your logon to windows logon and erase *.pwl files from windows directory <p>Wally Wojciechowski<br><a href=mailto:wwojo@wilsonpet.com>wwojo@wilsonpet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Wally's post was a good start, but you have a couple of other steps to perform.

What I normally do in this situation is: 1st-find and remove all *.pwl files from HDD; 2nd - edit system.ini (using sysedit) and remove all lines between [Password Lists] and the next header (in my case, [MSNP32]); 3rd - control panel, network, configuration tab, change Primary Logon to Windows Logon, click &quot;ok&quot; - DO NOT RESTART at this point; 4th - control panel, passwords, user profiles tab, click button for &quot;all users of this computer use same preferences...&quot;; 5th - restart computer; 6th - when Windows restarts, enter a user name and a BLANK for the password, if Logon box asks to verify password, verify a BLANK password and click OK.

After that, Windows should recognize a single profile without password for all users.

Please feel free to email me with comments, disagreements or other ideas to help increase my knowledge base.

If all you are doing is pressing the enter key to continue and are the only user on this computer the solution is very simple.

Go to My Computer/Control Panel/System

In the middle for the box change Primary Network Logon to Windows Logon.

All Done

Hi!

to wallyw and Idsmith2:

Your strategy will work in most cases, but I have made the experience that this methode doesn't work on some machines (don't ask why!). Phoenix9969's methode should do the job on every machine, even though step 4 isn't necessary if there is only one user.

later

frag patrick.metz@epost.de

Confirming Phoenix9969's solution. It seemed to work. How much more water would there be in the ocean if it weren't for sponges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back