Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 only seeing 2gig on C:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MM33

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2001
US
Hello,

I recently installed Win98 onto my 30 gig machine. I now can only see 2 gigs on my C drive. The problem may be because I may have inadvertently said "no" to enabling large disk support.

Does anyone know if 2 gigs is all I would see on my C drive if I said "no" to large disk support?

Is there any way to fix this problem. other than formatting and reinstalling Windows. I tried Partition Magic but I am still having trouble.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
MM

Yes that would be all you would see. If it is a fresh install and there is nothing on the drive, I suggest just FDISK and reinstall Windows 98. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Thats what I was affraid of.

thanks

Another option would be to use the remaining disk space to create another partition, large disk capacity enabled. You'd get two drives this way, but saves installing everything again

-Nick

Yes,
I already made other partitions but need more room on the sys partition.

thx

There's a little utility called fips than can let you resize partitions, as long as they're not fragmented (use defrag first). Might be useful for you, but if it's a new install, might just be easier to reinstall than trying to find a version of fips.

-Nick

did you get software with the hard drive sometime like in seaget there is a utlity called diskwizard

Windows 98 should format your drive using FAT32, but it looks like its only done it in FAT (which only supports up to 2 gig).

Use START -> PROGRAMS -> ACCESSORIES -> SYSTEM TOOLS -> FAT32 CONVERTER.

Rgds

Yes, and after following thatrenowned's suggestion, simply use Partition Magic to extend the system partition. The reason you were probably having problems with Partition Magic in the first place was because you were trying to extend the sys partition before converting it to FAT32.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back