Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 not recognizing cdrom drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccacc

Technical User
Jul 27, 2002
US
I am working on a pc with win98, MSI mb (which I just flashed the bios on). During boot the cdrom drive is seen, and when I use a win98 startup disk the drive is seen, however windows does not see it (even in safemode it does not show up in the device manager). I have connected a new drive and that is not seen either. Presently the drive is connected to the secondary controller and set to master as it is the only drive on the secondary. I have also connected it to the primary as slave with the hd, same results. There are no drivers in the autoexec.bat. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

In normal mode--
Go to your system properties (where device manager is located)
On the performance tab, does it say
(A) Your system is configured for optimal performace
(B) Drive x: is using MS-DOS compatibility mode

Also, you might need to re-install Motherboard/chipset drivers after that BIOS flash Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

If DOS sees, so should Windows. Do you have TweakUI installed? Maybe you selected the option not to show certain drive letters?

Look to this thread for some helpful info:

Thread602-242425 ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

I checked the performance and indeed it showed using a and b drives in dos. I found the drive to be infected with the magistr.b virus. Removed it. Then I removed the ide drivers and re-installed them and the drive is being seen. Thanks to all for you help. Sorry for the delayed response.

Thanks for the update--Glad it is working! Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back