Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 - Network mappings lose connection!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axeldb

IS-IT--Management
Jul 11, 2001
GB
Hello,

I have a Windows NT4 network and Windows 95 & 98 clients. All computers are compaq. Some of the computers with Windows 98 have network issues, including mine. Everything goes well (log in, file access, printing, etc.) But after a while (lets say 10 minutes) when I open Windows explorer and select 'My computer', you should normally see on the right side all the different drives/mappings. The first is the 'A' drive, then the 'C' drive, 'D' CD Drive, followed by the first mapping 'P' drive .... at this moment it stops. Normally you can see the amount of space for the drive as well as the amount of free space. This doesn't appear for the network drives. Only solution is CNTR-ALT-DEL to terminate Windows explorer and restart the computer.

This gets frustrating after a while. Can anyone help me with this?

Many thanks.

This might just be me, but I wonder if the mapped drives are connecting properly at startup. It could be, for example, that the mapped drives you are seeing have not actually mapped themselves properly on startup, so when they disappear, what you are actually seeing is the system looking for them for the first time, then discovering they are not there (refreshing). These are 9x clients, so I'm not surprised.

When the mapped drives disappear, can you still access the path? //machine/sharename

Are you able to re-map the drive? Another idea may be to try creating shortcuts to the shares, and then seeing if you can still access them after the mapped drive disappears.

Just another little point... does your server ever get switched off, and if so, does it get switched off before the clients???

Susie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back