Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 low system resources issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

TranquilUncle

Technical User
Jan 24, 2003
US
I'm running win98 on an IBM box P3 450Mhz, 256MB RAM 8GB HD. I'm running a database program that seems to sap a good bit of resources while running. Example; normal desktop, no programs open, virus protection is disabled, the resource meter shows: System resources-87%, User resources-87%, and GDI resources-95%. When I execute our database program and open a record the resource meter shows: System resources-43%, User resources-43%, GDI resources-84%. One program is causing this much drop in system resources!? I have this same box config with the same dbase installed on several other machines and I don't run into this problem with them. Any suggestions on how I might find the problem will be greatly appreciated.

Possible problem with the installation of the DB program on that particular system. Is it possible to uninstal and reinstall it? if so thats what I would do. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

I've uninstall and installed the DB program and that still didn't help. Any more suggestions?

Could you do msconfig/startup menu on a "good" box and the "problem" box and see if the problem machine has picked up an extra startup program somewhere along the way?

TranquilUncle,
It's odd that only one pc with the same program is having this problem. First, try the steps in this FAQ:

faq615-3144

If that still doesn't help, then you're probably looking at a format and clean reinstall of Win98. It may be quicker to do that instead of wasting so much time trying to locate the problem. Definitely try the steps in the FAQ first, and format if it doesn't help...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back