Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 Log-on password

Status
Not open for further replies.

astenvig

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2003
US
I have set up a password to log-on, running Win98, which works fine, but have discovered that pressing cancel at the prompt also logs the user into the system. There is only one user set up. Any ideas why and how to fix it?

If the first password you are talking about is a network logon, then you also have a conflicting 'windows' logon.

Easiest way if this is the case - go into DOS and from the c:\windows directory, delete the the PWL files.

del *.pwl

Next time you log on, it will ask you for a windows password, and leave it blank and it won't ask you for another password.

-= Beer is food! Is it suppertime? =-
If ya like the info on the posts - rate them helpful!

If I understand you correctly..
1)the win logon w/password creates a whole user profile of specific settings whereas
2)using the cancel button to log onto windows uses the "Default" user settings only.....yet if the "default" user makes changes to any System settings or preferences...these should not be reflected in the "user" profile settings.....
3)I'm not that sure what the exact diff (as far as security goes/Adm. priv.) "Windows logon" vs "Microsoft Family logon".....
You can see which one your using by right clicking "Network Neighborhood" on desktop and look at the "primary network logon"......
specifics from your reply will be helpful....
How secure do you need the Pc to be...?

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Ok..i get you. I'll have to look this afternoon as to which it is.
Well, we want the computer completely secure. There will only be 3 who know the password.
How can I set it up so that no matter what, only the 3 have access?

HGowdy:

You can't.. Win98 doesn't have that level of security.. You would need to upgrade to WinNT, Win2000 or XP for that..

Murray

As SESaskDFC says, you'll never get there with Win9x. But better yet, see if you can set a startup password in the bios.

It IS possible!
First, you must install the policy editor from your win98 CD: Start/Settins/Control Panel/AddRemove Programs/Windows Setup/Have Disk -> and you indicate the folder on your win98 CD containing the policy editor instalation kit (the *.inf file).
Then, from Programs/Accesories/System Tools run Policy editor: select "open registry" and search options for logging on win98 and on the network, like "user must suply password" or "doesn't show last user" ; check them!
Good luck!
Gicutale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back