Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win98 is loosing the network connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck1971

MIS
Jul 25, 2003
US
I have a computer with windows 98 operating system that will loose it's network connection. It will happen in the morning when it is strated up. And sometimes in the middle of the day. Please advise.

Check your power saving setting. Your network card might be going into power save mode and disconnecting.

You may find it in the BIOS and in the network card drivers. Check also your Power Saving features in your 98.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Did you connect the folders or drives you frequently use as network drives on the machine you are accessing them from?
That really helped when i had a similar problem. It will slow down opening the explorer window when you do it for the first time after reboot but thats only because it checks whether the drives are avaible...
You can connect network drive by opening the winexplorer, clicking Tools => Map network drive. Type drive or folder in the "\\Computername\DriveLetter" format (no brackets).
good luck and let me know if that helped...

"Sharing knowledge is a way of achieving immortality"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back