Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 installation problem (CD-ROM not detected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi,

I've been trying to install win98 (SE) on a formatted laptop, which previously ran win95. Everything goes fine until setup tries to detect plug and play devices, whereupon it freezes at 5%. After rebooting, setup continues as normal but when it tries to install drivers for any devices (e.g. pcmcia card)it cannot access the CD-ROM drive - and so a lot of files cannot be copied. At the end of the whole process the computer works okay, but there's no CD-ROM drive available. I've also tried installing winME, which installs with no problems (except it also freezes at 5% when detecting p&p devices), but again, when setup is finished the CD-ROM drive doesn't show up in My Computer - i.e. the OS doesn't see the drive. The motherboard detects the drive okay, as its details show up during startup. Reinstalling win95 works fine.

The computer's specs are Pentium MMX, 200mhz, 32MB RAM, 2GB HD

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

cheers

aero

I have had similar problems. So, I choose not to install from the CD. Have you tried copying the WIN98 dir to the HD and installing from their? It is faster and you don't have to worry about the CD drive missing. I don't have a specific answer, but I would try that first. Also, make sure your laptop BIOS is up to date.

Good luck,

Jason

Just a thought, but are there any firmware updates from the vendor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back