Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 hangs when shutting down

Status
Not open for further replies.

matador

IS-IT--Management
Jan 20, 2003
ZA
I have a PII 400, 128MB RAM. <br>
<br>
70% of the time i want to shut down, the system hangs at the end and it doesn't shut down. I need to restart and kill it at boot up so it won't give me scandisk everytime I start it up.<br>
<br>
any ideas?

Have you tried to disable fast shutdown.It's in msconfig&gt;general tab&gt;advanced.Also is it second edition.If it is have you tried updating the bios.

Try going into the BIOS and disabling IRQ support for the video card.<br>
<br>
Gordon

Try this:<br>
Create a shortcut on your desktop pointing to &quot;c:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows&quot;. (Without the quotes. If in doubt, paste the contents of the quote into the shortcut.) Call the shortcut &quot;Terminate&quot;. Double-click it and see-ya-later.<br>
<br>
It has worked well on every 9x system I've encountered so far.<br>
<br>
<br>
<p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= Vorpalcom home page</a><br>Send me suggestions or comments on my current software project.

An easy cure is to create a shortcut on your desktop.<br>
In the target box type in &quot;C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE user.exe,exitwindows&quot; exactly without the Quotes. In the start in box type &quot;C:\windows&quot; again without the quotes.<br>
Now your all set when you want to shut down just doble click the shortcut you created and it will shutdown right away.

Diable virus check in the Bios, ensure CDrom jumper setting is not set to csel. I have found that the shutdown procedure in most cases are indirectly related to hardware misconfigurations.

Disable drive A: auto protect virus scan on boot up. Big problem with my Dell's and Norton.

Check your startup folder delete every thing in it. Found offices products like findfast ect.. when I took them out shut down just fine&gt;

Use a boot disk and boot to an A: prompt. Type in SYS C: and hit enter. Reboot your PC and it will shutdown correctly.

This thread is starting to get a little silly. Kb244, could you settle this issue so we can go on with the rest of our lives? <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= temporary Vorpalcom home page</a><br>Send me suggestions or comments on my current software project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back