Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win98 freezes up when started

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike3663

Technical User
Dec 28, 2001
CA
the computer freezes up within a few seconds of the win 98 logo poping up on the screen it will runin save mode, when booting the bios reads the cd-rom but does not show up in the device manager any help would be appreciated

mike,

Have you made any recent changes, install or uninstall a program?

One of the best things about 98, is that it keeps a backup of the registry for the past 5 days, or more with ini file editting. Re-loading the system will not fix registry errors.

Try hitting F8 on startup, choose command prompt only. At the c: prompt, type:
cd\windows\command
then type:
scanreg /restore
and choose a date prior to the problem.

reghakr

sorry this is a fresh install with no previos history but it seems to turn up a msmouse.vxd problem when boot up isinitated in a sep by step configuration and yet unable to find a down loadable file yet thanks

Probably time to reload it. I would suspect that the mouse set up incorrectly. I'm less than 4 hours from the solution of the same symptoms where the failure was evidently caused by a kvm switch. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Mike,

Check the system.ini file for this:

[386Enh]
mouse=*vmouse, msmouse.vxd

add it if it doesn't exist.

By "fresh install" do you mean you just built it?
If so, gotta be a hardware problem.

reghakr

One of my win98 has the same problem. Running in safe mode everything is fine, no freezing. when it starts in normal mode, it need a long time to display image. When the computer desktop icon show up, a pop up screen "Browse Setup installation Wizard" installation program display, it asks me to click ok or cancelled to continous. I move the mouse pointer to clicking either one, no response (System freezes)/click Ctrl-Alt-Del (Blue screen).I have to turn the power off and restart. I beleive the problem come from video driver or ram. I restall new driver and upgrade the ram, it still not working.

I try to disable the pop out installation program screen when startup but not success. I went to Msconfig, control panel add and remove program or searching Dir on C drive, I am unable to located it. How can I disable it when next time win98 start up. Any advise ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back