Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 Exploere not responding 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpaine

Technical User
Jan 28, 2003
NZ
Have win98 2nd edition. Using office 2000. No trouble at first but now at random times the system locks up. Cntrl Alt Del says Explorer Not Responding. End Task doesn't work and have to switch off and reboot to get working again. Happens it seems when using IE (6.0.2800) but it looks like explorer itself not IE.
Tried reinstalling Win98 but no better.
Very annoying - any help available.

JP in New Zealand

I am guessing this started happening after IE was upgraded to version 6?
If so I would suggest rolling IE back to previous version and see if the problem goes away. A lot of problems have been noted on IE 6.

JP in NZ, do you have IE running when you experience the lockup? I guess you do, since Task Manager (produced by Ctrl+Alt+Del) lists it as a running process, but I not going to assume.
And are the lockups experienced only when running Office 2K ... i.e., is there a specific combination of programs that need to be running to make the lockups occurr?
BTW, that rollback is good advice. The MS Tech Net web site may even have a hit on this.

Also, if there are any 'Optimal' BIOS memory settings, then change them to the 'Default' settings.

Thanks for your suggestions - a little more information.
I've got a Dell Inspiron 3200 laptop (1998 model 233Mhz) connected at all times to the LAN at the office. Others in office have desktops using Windows NT.
Seems the problem doesn't arise unless I open IE. I have experienced the same when at home connected to Internet via 56K modem.
I've been in this office/LAN situation for 18 months but there was no problem until they updated the LAN server 5 months ago. Interesting other change happened then when they had to set up a small drives.bat progamme to connect me to the directories on the LAN. (When loging on to the LAN Outlook was fine and asked for a connect but none of the LAN directories showed).
I may well have upgraded to IE6 at that time but I can't remember that being a problem. (Fortunately I have IE5 set up still on the hard drive and will try that if nothing else works)
Someone else I spoke to had had the problem and fixed it by reinstalling Win98 - I tried but it didn't help. Admittadly I haven't backed up and reformatted the hard drive and am trying to avoid that if possible - the problem is annoying but not worth that hassle. Maybe there's some other way I can get rid of something that's causing this?

Cheers

JP

I've gone into Settings/Control Panel/Add Remove programes and went to uninstall IE6 and it gave me the option to Repair Internet Explorer - which i did. Also removed additions to IE 5 which was still there. This seems to have fixed it. Let's see waht happens tomorrow.
Worth trying for those with trouble with IE 6.

Cheers

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back