Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 Display Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechJB

MIS
Sep 10, 1999
US
I recently upgraded my Toshiba laptop 325CDT to Win98. Since then, when I go into Diplay properties and try to select "Settings" my system crashes. I am totally at a loss here as to what to do. I have tried reformatting, reloading, installing the latest vender supplied display drivers...everything that i can think of, but it still crashes when selecting the "settings" button. Any suggestions?

Is your laptop a Satelitte 320C Series? For all Toshiba Notebooks you need to follow a specific order to install drivers, similar to Compaq Notebooks. For all 320C Series Notebooks follow the guideline below.<br>
<br>
Before you install Windows 98:<br>
-Update BIOS <br>
-Uninstall Toshiba Infrared Driver (if installed) <br>
<br>
After you install Windows 98:<br>
-Update C&T Display Driver <br>
-Update Yamaha Sound Driver <br>
-Install Toshiba Win98 Infrared Driver <br>
-Install Toshiba Win98 IDE Driver <br>
-Install Toshiba Windows 98 Utilities <br>
<br>
If you need help go to Toshiba's website and click on support.<br>
<br>
Best of Luck <p>Joe<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Actually Joe it's a Satalite Pro 425CDT laptop. I tried updating the C&T Display Driver after I reloaded it. One other thing it does is it hangs for several minutes at start-up. I have a feeling something is wrong with the way the system is seeing the display driver. When I bring up system.ini it shows *displaypassthrough=0. I just can't seem though to get to where I need to fix it. Since it crashes when using the Display properties settings button.<br>

Did you get the updated driver from Toshiba's Website or Chips & Technologies Website?<br>
<br>
Your Chipset should be a C&T 65550<br>
<br>
Did you install the driver direcly after you installed Windows 98? Or did you install the driver after you already installed some other drivers/programs?<br>
<br>
I know its time consuming, but if you did not install the driver right after Win98, I would start over by wiping everything out and reinstalling Win98, then the video driver and see if it gives you any problems then. <br>
<br>
Keep me informed. <p>Joe<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Joe<br>
I installed the driver immediatly after installing loading Win98 and when I went into hardware devices it told me that the C & T 65550 is installed and working properly.

Are you using Win98 Service Release 2 or an upgrade to Windows 95? <p>Joe<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

It dosn't say which version it is. It is dated 4/10/98.

Hi!
I have exactly the same problem upgrading my Tecra 510CDT from Win 95 to Win98SE. I have followed the instructions from the Toshiba site, and have updated the Display driver. My display defaults to 640 x 480 16 colours. If I click on settings (in Display under Conrol Panel) the screen goes all fuzzy and the only thing I can do is to Ctrl-Alt-Del.
Vish

Dear Friend, Gotoo the safe mode & check maybe u have a standard display adapter & u r C & T 65550 is installed
remove both of them & restart the computer & install the C & T 65550 . It will be ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back