Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 DHCP request timeout

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOKA

Technical User
Apr 15, 2001
US
Greetings.
Does anyone know how to change (increase) DHCP request timeout on 98 client system? Or, how to increase the amount of DHCP request retries?

Thanks.

Are you talking about how often the lease is expired/renewed? Nate Gagne
nathan.gagne@verizon.net
AKA Nick Burns - Your Company's Computer Guy
"Would you like me to save your game of Minesweeper first?"

Like my post? Let me know it was helpful!

No, it is about how long and how many times system will try to get a new IP before giving up and assigning automatic IP.
Thanks.

It is not possible to change the timeout delay and the amount of times it broadcasts DHCPDISCOVER packets to attempt to connect to a DHCP server.
This is builtin to the Windows TCP/IP protocol.

The time that a given address is valid for is usually set on the device handing out the addresses.

If you are getting the address from an NT Server then the life of an address can be set in the DHCP Manager under Administrative Tools (Common).

If you are receiveing addresses from a device such as a SOHO router then it may be possible to alter the life span in the config (but not usually).

Hope this helps.

Corkyballs

If you are connected to the DHCP server via a 10/100 switch then you must disable all auto-negotiation for the client NIC, server NIC, and through the switch management. This auto-negotiation takes longer than the DHCP requests, so the client cannot get an address when this is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back