Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win98 crashing horribly on games

Status
Not open for further replies.

neonyak

ISP
Aug 17, 2001
US
We've recently formatted our hard drive, in hopes of having an OS with sound compatibility. So we went from win2k to win98 (win98se gave horrible install problems). So with win98 on our computer, we installed all the latest drivers, and all the latest updates. On top of that, we downloaded dirextX 8, and the windows critical update package, and the asus flash program. We have an Athlon K7 Socket A Raid motherboard, a Monster Sound soundblaster card, creative dvd, 1ghz processor, etc. Also, we have reset the bios, and tried many different bus speeds. Everything works beautifully, until we want to play a game. The game will play right through, until we move the mouse. It'll play sound, graphics and everything great, but as soon as we move the mouse, our computer is toast and we have to reboot. I was wondering if any of you genius' out there can help me. I've asked computer techs, hardware and software, and no one knows what's going on. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! s-) clgx299@earthlink.net
I came, I saw, I connected at 48.8...

Have you tried replacing the mouse? Are you using USB or a PS\2? I have heard of bad mouses causing the same type of errors you are talking about.

It's a PS\2 mouse. THe only USB device we have is the webcam...but thats another story. Would it be the mouse itself? Or the mouse drivers? clgx299@earthlink.net

You could try reinstalling the mouse drivers but chances are they are not the problem. I have heard of the problems coming directly from the mouse itself. Are you recieving an error message or is it just freezing? Also, are you having any device conflicts in the device manager or do you have duplications of devices in the device manager? Additionally, is your mouse set to IRQ 12?

no error messgae, no. When the mouse starts off on a graphic, it freezes right away. When we move the mouse over a graphic, it'll freeze. Otherwise, it's fine. It's ok as long as the mouse isn't pointing on a graphic. No device manager conflicts or duplicates, no, but we had this exact same setup before, and it worked beautifully until we upgraded from a AMD K62 to an Athlon K7. Could that be contributing to it? Or is it purely coincidence? clgx299@earthlink.net

faq602-1088

Switching to a K7 could have EVERYTHING to do with it. The later the version of the AMD, the hotter it will usually run. Put a better cooling system on you machine, and definitely a better CPU cooler. I wrote an article that is exactly about the problems you're having, I think you would greatly benefit from reading it, it is faq602-1088. If this does not bring you to the Article automatically, it is 4.b. in PC Hardware - General Discussion. Hope this helps.

We have 3 internal fans going. We have a huge copper heat-sinc bigger than my fist, we have a fan card, and everything is ventilating perfectly. We have 256MB RAM, and 83% system resources free. Any other suggestions? (That article was very helpful though! My husband commends you for all your insights and great ideas!) clgx299@earthlink.net

One question, does the mouse happen to be an Intelli-mouse? If it is, then that may be it. Especially an Explorer, the drivers have been notorious for messing up peoples' systems.

No, it's not an intelli-mouse. It's a basic, CompUSA PS\2 mouse. Nothing special, it's just a year old. clgx299@earthlink.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back