Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 connection to internet issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

pldua

Technical User
Jun 18, 2003
CA
Can someone please explain to me if possible why is it that a Win98 machine which is setup to static IP address finds the server for about two days and then it cannot find the server after that.
The Win98 machine is networked to a XP pro machine which used cable modem to connect.
The XP Pro machine has a local area connection icon with settings:
IP address: 192.168.0.t
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Preffered DNS server: 24.153.22.67
and has client for MS,NetBeui,TCP/IP,File and printer sharing installed as well.

While the 98se machine has settings:
IP address: 192.168.0.x
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS Server: 24.153.22.67

These settings have worked for me for about two days and then it just can't find server each time after. I cannot seemed to understand why it cannot find the server or the cause for it to loose connection with the server, forgive I'm just a beginner to this stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Well, for starters, sounds like you have 2 computers in a peer to peer workgroup, not a server. Windows 2000 server would be a server, accessing an XP Pro machine from a 98 machine is peer to peer. What do you mean by "it can't find it." What is it that is failing?

Matt J.

It's failing to connect to the DNS Server, on IE at the top pane it says "Cannot find server" and on the lower right hand pane it has "C:\Windows\System\...\ DNS ERROR" message.

Before you beat yourself up to much on the IP, your problem may be coming from a different direction.

When you can't access the internet anymore, you can still access the other machine/see the other machine on your local network, right?

How do you get the machines back on the internet? I'm guessing you have them connected via a router and you are either reseting the router, reseting the cable modem, or both.

Have you tested the signal strength to your cable modem connection? A weak signal would cause you to lose connection intermittently for seemingly no reason. Where does your cable internet enter the house? Can you hook up a direct line to the router and see if the problem goes away?

I can see the other machine on the network, I connect via Hub and I get back to the internet by reseting the cable modem.The cable line enters through the basement of my house. The computer that is directly connected to the modem seems to maitain it's fast connection so there is no intermittent connection.
ACTUALLY
I took my friends labtop and hooked it to the network instead of the 98se machine, and it's having the same problem cannot find a connection. The labtop runs XP Pro and when I check its local connection icon it is set to assign IP address automatically. I open up IE and get that same message"Cannot find Server".
Then I performed a "ping and "ping on the labtop and returns "request timed out". I opened IE and took the IP addresses of the above two sites and entered it in IE address bar and it does CONNECT to the sites using only there IP addresses NOT their Domain Names. And that is my problem with my 98SE machine as well, How do I correct a problem such as this(which only connects through an IP address).

You can surf by IP address, but not by Domain name... I think you just answered your own question.

Your problem is DNS.

Your cable modem plugs into what? The XP machine, which in turn plugs into the hub? Or are you using a router between Cable Modem and WS?

The problem seems to be DHCP management. A cable modem only assigns one IP address, unless you purchase multiple ones through your Cable ISP.

In order to share one IP with multiple PC's, you cannot rely on a hub unless it has built-in DHCP (which many don't).

A router (such as the popular Linksys BEFSR41) usually has NAT (Network Address Translation) technology which uses DHCP and assigns a unique IP address to each networked PC. It also manages the single IP with the cable modem. Plus the network is switched which conserves bandwidth and is ultimately faster. A hub has every PC sharing the bandwidth equally, even when it's not in use.

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab]- A. Einstein

thanks for the replies guys,
"For MISAdmin:" my network consists of two machines a XP Pro and Win98se. The XP Pro is directly connected to the Modem and has 2 NIC's where one plugs into the modem and the other goes into the HUB(KOMODO KNH9/10 Ethernet hub). The Win98 machine has a NIC that also plugs into the HUB(KOMODO KNH9/10 Ethernet hub).
"For cdogg:" are you suggesting that there is no hope for the hub to assign a static IP to the Win98 machine?

pldua,
a hub, in most cases, does not have the circuitry necessary to assign an IP. An IP that is so assigned would be called a dynamic IP, in most cases. There are advanced ways to have the same IP set, but it would not seem to be necessary. I would concur with cdogg. Go get a Linksys BEFSR41, which would be available at pretty much any store with a home technology section. An electronics store such as Best Buy or Circuit City would be your best bet. Should cost around $80, and would work after running their setup CD.

Sorry, my last post was end of the day yesterday and I didn't have a chance to respond further.

Yes, based on your description of your setup, both cdogg and jbotz are correct. The router number jbotz listed is probably the cheapest solution (under $100) and will be by far the easiest thing for you to do.

You can make it work with just a hub, but it will require that you install some type of proxy server software on your XP machine so that it can properly navigate the cable connection. If you want to give it a try, there are plenty of proxy software programs available for download on the web... Have a look at Tucows.com and you'll be able to find something.

Of course, the other option is to call your cable company and tell them you have more than one machine... They;ll then give you multiple routable IP addresses you can use, but they;ll also likely charge you an extra $10-$15 a month ;-)

Thanks for the replies guys, I actually went and got myself a router(D-Link DI-704P) it's pretty cool with its Parallel Printer Port for sharing a printer. Things are a whole lot smoother than using the hub, but one problem still remains, my 98machine still has the DNS ERROR. It poinnts to c:\windows\system\shocd.dll\dnserror.

pldua,
Well, I wish you would have posted this information sooner:
"[blue]The XP Pro is directly connected to the Modem and has 2 NIC's where one plugs into the modem and the other goes into the HUB(KOMODO KNH9/10 Ethernet hub). The Win98 machine has a NIC that also plugs into the HUB(KOMODO KNH9/10 Ethernet hub).[/blue]"

With this configuration, a hub is just fine because the XP machine is managing both the IP from the cable modem, and using a 2nd NIC to manage the IP to the hub/win98pc. The Linksys router is still nice to have, but is not necessary. The DNS problem you're having is probably unrelated to the hub or router.

Instead, I would focus on how XP is sharing the connection. See if the 98pc has problems when it is directly connected with the cable modem. If not, then the problem is the XP pc, not the Win98 pc.

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab]- A. Einstein

Why not just plug each computer directly into the router with strait through cables. then a crossover cable from the uplink in the router to the modem??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back