Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 closing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gransbpa

Programmer
Jun 5, 2001
NL
When I want to turn off my pc, the usual screen is showing (I think it's 'Windows 98 shuts down' or 'Windows 98 is trying to shut down'). Normally the pc should turn itself off after a few seconds, but since a few weeks it's hangs itself up in this screen, so I have to turn off the computer manually each time (and therefore do a scandisk each time, which is annoying). Does anyone know what's going on here? Thanks!

Check this out...
faq615-177
(and, all you have to do is hit "x" to get out of that annoying scandisk)

Are you running things like Microsoft Find Fast as i have noticed this can cause a problem when shutting down win 95 and 98 try disabling this and see if that works

Along the lines of ronmon's suggestions, try systematically shutting down processes through ctrl+alt+del (Close Program Window). there are numerous combo's that can bugger up your close. Did you install/upgrade anything right about the time you started having this problem? If so, that's your likely culprit.

Hello

I have seen this a few times. With Win98 if fast shutdown is enabled the device drivers do not always uninitialize correctly.

To disable fast shutdown:
Click on Start>Run and type "MSCONFIG". Under the "General" tab, click on "Advanced". Place a checkmark in "Disable fast shutdown". Click "OK" and then "OK". The system should prompt you to reboot, click on yes. Test it out on reboot.

Other than that, did you install anything new on the system or upgrade anything? Anti-virus programs cause the issue at times.

Hope this helps.

Thanks you all for all the tips!

I tried running msconfig as gargoil1974 suggested, but couldn't find the option disable fast shutdown. However, under the startup tab I disabled the Norton anti virus utility, and after doing this Win98 shut down correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back