Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 Classroom PC's. How to deny customizing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpermonkey

Technical User
Sep 28, 2003
US
Is there a way to prohibit users from "tweaking" WIN98 desktops, fonts, screensavers, etc.?
Our telecom classroom uses Hyperterm to "talk" to the phone systems and do data entry. So, it's not a PC learning environment, the PCs are just tools.
After each class I have to go into each machine (we have 15) and restore the setttings to our standard, delete gifs, jpgs and other personal stuff.

The students do have to read/write files to the HD and floppy drives.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!
JumperMonkey

You could lock out most of those setting through the registry and poledit i'm sure. But, I couldn't tell you off my head what needs to be modified, you would have to research it.

The other option would be to buy some software that locks the pc down, like deepfreeze. So no matter what the users do to the computer settings all you have to do is restart the computer and its back to default.

you may disable most of these in the registry. but be forewarned! messing up your registry might render your pc unusable so back-up your registry first before doing anything. try reading this link.

hope this help. peace! [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"Illegitimis non carborundum!"

Thanks to all! I appreciate the hints.
Posum.com looks promising.

JumperMonkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back