Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 Cd Drive not reading Cd rom

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackz15

Programmer
Jun 28, 2006
US
I have a Win98SE Pentium II PC that I'm trying to get rid of. But there are a bunch of music saved on it so i want to be able to take those out. But the problem is that the computer just refuses to read my blank or even already written Cds(no matter if it's recordable or rewritable). The only type of disc that it reads is an already formatted audio Cd, and there is no way for me to write to a disc such as that.
Going on windows explorer, and checking the Cd drive, windows pops with a message that always pops up when you try to open a drive that doesn't have anything in it. I tried the same discs on another Win98SE of mine and it could read them. The PC that worked is newer than the older one, so perhaps I need some update? Or maybe there is a settings problem?

Ty for any help

So your old pc has problems reading and writing to CD's and doesnt recognise lash drives?

Thomas

Sorry Jackz I dropped an "f" you could remove the hard drive and use Xcopy I assume you have checked the device manager for yellow flags

Thomas

hey thanks, i never knew of Xcopy, I'll look into it

i tried XCOPY and it said the device was not ready

Wow! you are fast I wouldn't have had the old drive out that quick. If both PC's are running 98 you could probably install the old drive as master it will ask for a bunch of drivers probably

Thomas

lol, i didn't take out the hard drive. I'm not that awesome to be able to take it out and use XCOPY in 10mins. I'll try taking out the drive, but i really never done this before, so hopefully nothing gets damaged.

Do you even have a burner on that Win98 PC? If not, then you're not going to be able to write to a blank disc anyway.

Also, some older CD-ROM drives made in the mid-to-late 90s have trouble reading CD-R's and CD-RW's. The reflectivity of the disc just isn't picked up sometimes.

Consider taking another route and get yourself a USB flash drive. A 512MB one costs less than $50 and holds just as much as a CD. Of course, make sure you have a USB port on the old PC beforehand...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I just noticed that you posted about a USB Flash Drive problem in forum750. If you tell us what the manufacturer, model, and size is of the flash drive, one of us can probably point you in the right direction.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back