Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win98 can't login to active directory domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlfiller

Technical User
May 22, 2001
US
I have a few (not all) windows 98 machines which refuse to log in to my AD domain. They can log in to my NT domain just fine and any of my netware servers, but as soon as I try to login to the AD domain, I get an error message:
"Unable to login. Please check your username and password or your domain server is unavailable." (may not be quite the exact wording). I know the username and password is correct because I can use it to log on to the machine next to it.

I can ping from this machine to the AD server by name and by IP and I can ping from the AD server to this machine by name and IP.

I have dumped the NIC and everything under it and rebuilt that piece, deleted all the Netware stuff, and everything I can think of.

What am I missing?

JL Filler,Wilton Public Schools, Wilton CT

Are there any entries in the DC's event logs that would help? You may have to enable some additional auditing to see the problem in the security log. Make sure it's looking in the right domain. I think you have to use the NetBIOS domain name to log on from a Win98 machine. (For example, if your domain name is mycompany.local, the NetBIOS domain name is most likely mycompany.)

Is the domain configured to "Allow pre-Windows-2000 access?" Has that privilege been granted to the 98 machines and to the users logging in from them?

Assuming you are using DHCP on the Server, enable DHCP on the 98 box. Disable DNS, WINS, and Gateway on the 98 box. LMHosts, Hosts, and ADClient are not needed on the 98 box. The most important thing on the 98 box is this: make sure the workgroup name in network properties is your domain name (e.g., if hq.mp.local is your domain name, put "hq" as the workgroup name). Finally, be sure the same domain name is entered under "client for microsoft networks" at "windows NT domain." If your Server is set up correctly, this should work. Regards.

Will this work in a WIndows 2003 Active Directory Domain in "native 2003" mode?

I don't have any experience with Win 2003. However, my understanding is Native mode is for Win 2000 OS and above. Mixed mode is for NT, 9x, etc.

As it turned out, there was a WINS problem on the server. The entry for this server pointed to an incorrect IP address. How's that for weird? I can't figure out why any of the Win9x machines COULD log in, but some of them certainly could.

JL Filler,Wilton Public Schools, Wilton CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back