Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 boots to password screen but cant select user or enter password 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoon1

Technical User
Apr 28, 2003
US
My computer boots to win98 desktop (without icons) has a password screen that is grayed out- no user to select, can't type in password. I'm stuck!!
Thanks for any help.

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode? Have you loaded anything or changed anything?

the machine is a mess...
i cant get the floppy to read, or the CD- now i'm trying to put together a command.com and type it in. I don't know what else to do. does anyone have a generic command.com ?

Do you have a boot disk? Do you have the win98 install disk?

I have a boot disk, but the floppy drive and cd won't read... I'm at a loss.

Do a hard boot. That is to turn the power off then back on.
As the system is coming up press F1. This will put you in the BIOS menu. Go to the Boot tab check the Boot order Make the floppy drive first, CDROM next and the hard disk next. Those may have got messed up. When your done hit F10 and save it. Your machine will reboot. Put the Boot disk in then. See if it is a boot order thing.

Okay I will try what you said. Thanks very much for your help. I will get back to you tomorrow and let you know what happened.

try clicking Cancel?..or OK?

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Depending on what kind of machine you have, there are multiple ways of getting into the BIOS to allow you to change the CMOS settings. It might help get more definitive answers if you would tell us what you have.
You might also try hitting the delete key as it is displaying the POST messages. Or the F1, F2, F10 , or esc as that pretty well covers the majority of the single key possibilities.
When you have done the "boot order" change, usual is to esc out to the main page and move to save or exit.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back