Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 and Win2000 don't see one another

Status
Not open for further replies.

dellboy

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2001
GB
Windows 98 server
Windows 2000 client
Workgroup

I have a problem where I can not manage to get a Win2000 client to see the 'server' which is running Win98.

The client (w2k) can ping the server (Win98) by both name and IP address and yet the client is not running WINS and there is no WINS running at all on the network from what I can see. Is the ping response working through Netbios over TCP/IP?

There is another Win2000 clients on the network and this can be browsed to across the network and pinged. The new machine has been added, removed and readded to the workgroup but this has failed to provide a solution!

Is there a utility I need to install to get the Win2000 machine to see the Win98 machine. I apologise for the lack of info but there isn't any more to tell I don't think. The network is a workgroup with a couple of Win2000 clients a Win98 server and everything is running static IP addresses. There are no WINS or DNS services so I have no idea how the machines are communicating Netbios over TCP/IP I assume.

Win98 is not my strong point so any help is appreciated

Cheers

Is file sharing enabled on 98 machine - and are any drives/folders actually shared? (can you access resources on 98 machine from anywhere else?).

Presume client for microsoft newtworks is installed on 98 machine and is primary logon (and you do log it on, not 'escape out')

Yep file sharing exists and another W2k machine can connect. Client for MS networks is installed and the 98 machine does logon.
From reading elsewhere it would appear that I need an account on the 98 'server' for the w2k machine to access it as they are all in a workgroup and not a domain, which makes some sense. That said however where do I add user and/or machine names. When trying to add a user in the control panel all you can do is add a local user to logon.

Other W2k machines can connect and see the 98 box (I have given up using the word server as it is as near to a server as a chocolate teapot). One machine can connect yet it can not browse the the 98 machine through Network Neighbourhood and vice versa - the 98 can't see the W2k yet the W2k prints through a shared printer on the WIn98.

Thanks for the comments, anyone have any more (other than the obvious throw the 98 in the bin :O)

Cheers

You don't need an 'account' on 98 for 2k to see it (the reverse is true - you do need an account on 2k machine matching 98 logon credentials for 98 to see 2k).

This may sound a cop out - but removing & reinstalling networking protocols etc from the 98 machine may improve matters (we used to have this sort of problem occasionally when we had 98 & 95 machines - this approach generally worked!).

btw - is there any good reason why you haven't upgraded the 98 'server' to 2k pro - it would surely make good sense from a reliability point of view (or do you have more than 10 other machines accessing it)?

PS. From the machine(s) that can't see 98 in My network places, can you access it using the search facility - search for computers? Also, what if you try to access a share directly from run - ie, type \\98machinename\sharename in run box. Also, is netbios over TCP enabled on 2k machine (WINS tab in advanced network settings).

Thanks for the point re accounts

Can maybe try the removal reinstall of TCP etc but I have only recently started looking after there IT and its a real mess that I don't want to make any worse.

I would happily trash the 98 and rebuild as 2000 but the company (I simply service/consult on their IT)don't want to spend the money!!

Will try the search, where is it? (I will find it). Accessing a share doesn't work but a ping will respond via IP and name. I will have to check the netbios over TCP but I am sure it is set up.

I really hate 98 but am grateful for your help. Do you know where there are any decent documents detailing networking 98 with W2k and AD at all? (another situation) If you do could you let me know. I need to go and take a look but thought you may know. Thanks for your help

might be useful.

For AD - presume you have a 2k or 2k3 domain, with 98 workstations. What sort of help do you need for this? (eg, start point - need to set client for microsoft network properties on the 98 machines to 'Log on to Windows NT domain' and specify the domain. They should then be able to log on with a valid domain account).

I've had to load NETBEUI to get the link working, read this on a forum somewhere a while ago

Found your thread on a search. Had same problem a few years ago with 2k machines & 98 machines. Can see & ping but cannot access. NETBEUI did work (along with the other info listed in thread). Searching due to new/old problem with 98 & XP pro machine (only no NETBEUI on XP). Just fixed my problem by going on 98 machine in control panel - passwords. Tab for remote administration. Checked box & entered password used on XP account. Reboot and access to 98 machine(finally!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back