Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win98 and 2000 Advanced server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skine

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2001
US
I am new to this group and 2000 server so please be gentle. I have ran the dsclient and I am valadating through the 2000 server but I am unable to see the server from the 98 machine in network neighborhood. I have the workgroup and domain matched but I still cant see the darn thing. I have tried to map a drive using the UNC but I am not sure what the server name would be, is it the long name.domain.domain.com or is there another name that I can use? What else can I do to gain access to the shared folders on the server?

I had the same problem and i solved it by installing IPX/SPX on the clients(W98) and activating under IPX Netbios.

Good luck.

Howdy,

If memory serves, there are two places where you need to specify the domain in Win98. I don't access to a Win98 machine here at work, but I think when you open the network properties, there is the identification tab with the machine and workgroup names. You also need to configure the domain in the Client for MS Networks properties. Did you get both of these?

When you view the network from the Win98 machine, do just see the Win98 machine and not the server, or do you see no network at all? Are you able to see the Win98 machine from the server?

If the Win98 machine is in the W2k domain, the server name in the UNC is just the server name, ie \\ServerName\ShareName.

HTH

Sean

Hi Skine,

I just went through some of this last night. When you install ASD to set the Win2k Server as a domain controller it asks for both names to be recognized by the network, (domain.microsoft.com), and then it asks for a domain name for NETBIOS (this is for win9x machines and before (just put in a readable name here (DomainName). Make sure you set up your 98 machine to access the DomainName. Personally I have my 98 machine accessing a linksys NAT/DHCP box for my IP address and WINS, and I have it accessing the DomainName. I make sure through the Win2k Server that I have a user set up so I can authenticate to it as well.

Hope this helps.

Chuck

Thank you guys all is good now

Hi,

You may need Windows 98 and or Windows 2000 Server CD-ROM.

From the Window 98 PC,

1) Click START --> SETTINGS --> CONTROL PANEL --> NETWORK

2) Remove all the client, services and protocols EXCEPT YOUR NETWORK CARD.

3) Cold boot the Window 98 PC.

4) Re-add all the client, services and protocols

5) Re-boot the system again.

See what happens.

Regards,
Kavin : )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back