Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN98-2000 TCP/IP Problems Mapping 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dschmootz

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2002
US
Hi All,

I have three pc's on a hub with static IP's (same sub/default), and in the same workgroup. One is WIN 98 (SIGH) and the other two are WIN2000. I can connect to the C drives going from 2000-2000, but not 98-2000. It says that I need a password trying to connect to either 2000 from the 98. I can map a folder on the C drive of either 2000, from the 98-2000, but not the C drives. Also, same thing when I try to add a printer that's connected to one of the 2000s. Even using "net use lpt1: \\server\printer" it will say wrong password and that I need to enter the correct one. I REALLY need to get my 98 to print to the 2000...that's the main issue. All 3 pc's have NO passwords. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, DON

Try creating the same user on each of the 2000 PC's, leave the password blank and log into the 98 PC with that username. Give suffient rights for that user to the printers and the shares. Now try and add the network printer to the 98 PC and connect to the shares.

That is correct. You need to log onto the 98 machine with a username/password that exists on the 2000 machine. In Windows 98 there was no way to log onto another machine or domain with different credentials than the ones you logged onto the 98 machine with. In Windows 2000/XP, you can use net use /USER command to specify the credentials to pass to the other machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back