Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN95 not starting - GDI error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faz10

MIS
Sep 27, 2001
GB
I've got a machine running 95 that's not starting with a message about GDI having an error, it then shuts down the machine. Initially it had an error about Iosubsys directory being not present or corrupted. We've copied over contents of this but now comes up with this GDI thing. Trouble is that 3 people have had a look and tried different things and none of us have worked with 95 for ages. Suggestions on at least getting the durn thing to boot to windows??? I need to back up data, etc from it(i.e. use it as a slave), but it would be nice to get it working as we haven't got the software needed to reinstall on a fresh build. Very frustrating, any suggestions gratefully accepted...

Yes, it won't go into that either. It comes up with the GDI error and then shuts down.

Why not slave the hard drive to another machine, copy the files you need and see if you can do a repair on it while it's in the other machine?
Find and rename user.dat and system.dat to user.old and system.old and then find and rename user.da0 to user.dat and system.da0 to system.dat.
Then put it back in the original computer (changing the jumper back to master) and try booting.

Thanks very much for that gargouille. However, since my last post my colleague has fixed it without having to use it as a slave by copying over system files and restoring the registry settings. Took a long time though! Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back