Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win95 can't see shared printers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeGR

Technical User
Jun 20, 2002
AU
I have a Win95 PC that is logged onto a Win NT domain. I can browse all of the network, and see shared files / folders of the PC's on the network and see all available network printers, but cannot see a shared printer that a user has setup on his PC...I can browse that person's C drive, but cannot see his shared printer...I have checked the properties of tcp/ip on the win95 pc. The gateway is setup, so is the wins address and a static IP and subnet mask...Any suggestions??

Instead of browsing, maybe you can enter the name of that specific printer and get it mounted that way (?)

Did you check to see if the printer is in fact shared out?
Sometimes if the user did it themselves, they may think it is shared, but it isn't.

Yeah, I checked to make sure it is properly shared. (w2k and NT4 workstations can see it)...I also tried entering the path in as per the first reply, and then all I got were illegal operations everytime I tried to print or even opened programs like wordpad or anything. The offending file was hppta.drv (i think)

Hi,

Try removing TCP/IP and File and Print sharing from this PC. Reboot and readd, re-connect to the network , and you should be able to see these printers.

Paul

What type of printer is the user trying to share? -Brad
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

-Best cartoon of all time :-D 'Spongebob Squarepants' :-D

Okay. Since you're using Windows 95 it can be a little bit tempermental when it comes to shared printers. What you need to do is install the drivers directly on the Win95 machine. Since networking was a fairly new concept when Win95 was released it has alot of bugs it needed to work out hence the release of Windows 98. After installing the driver on the Win95 machine that should fix your problem. Hope that helps. -Brad
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

-Best cartoon of all time :-D 'Spongebob Squarepants' :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back