Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win95 Booting Error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mundell

IS-IT--Management
Jul 11, 2000
US
I am receiving this Error when I try to boot computer will not let me into Win95 through safe mode or normal mode here is what i am geting first pops up a error saying can't find ndis.vxd file error then you hit enter and this comes up While initializing device IOS
Error: an I/O subsystem driver failed to load
Either a file in the .\iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt
or the system is low on memory.

ANY Suggestions??

Thanks

Robb

ndis.vxd is a device driver that allows resource sharing within windows.
If you know how, just extract the file from the CD to the c:\windows\system folder.
If you are not familiar with this, just boot to safe mode, remove everything from device manager, then reinstall windows over top of itself, making sure you do not save any old files when asked.
If you have upgraded to IE4.x or newer, uninstall IE before reinstalling windows, then reinstall later.

Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Current moderator at
Staff contributor/moderator at
Windows 9x/ME instructor.

Jim's Modems:

only problem is I can't get in to safe mode either just dos prompt? I noticed there is no autoexec.bat file and the config.sys file is at 0 kbyes? and some how there is now command directory under windows.. All this happened just trying to install a dial-up networking connection we don't know what happened we just got the machine in they said they where adding a connection and rebooted???

There should be a command folder in windows. That is normal.

Sounds like your io has gone missing - did someone delete some of the system files?

Try booting from a floppy and doing a sys c: and see if that helps.

Zel

Boot to the Windows startup disk.
From the A: prompt, type: fdisk /mbr and hit enter.
Back at the A: prompt, type: sys C: and hit enter.
Restart, and see if you get back to windows or any error messages that pop up.

Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Current moderator at
Staff contributor/moderator at
Windows 9x/ME instructor.

Jim's Modems:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back