Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win32 API or MFC?Please,I need some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I'm learning c++ and I don't know where to go from there.
Should I start learning win32 api of MFC?I know API is more difficult,but is it REALLY that more difficult?I know It can go depper in windows,but how much?Maybe you can tell me what are a typical applications developed with api and what with mfc.And last,how much longer will it take me to master api?

Thank you very much

Isn't there anybody that could answer me this?I really need to know this.Thank you.

Dont know if your still there but ill try to help anyway since i asked this exact same question when i first started. The win apis are generally not used much these days, every one doing windows specific GUI developement is probobly using MFC or Basic. The reasons are Basic and MFC speed up developement alot and have a lot more support. Good luck getting help with a winAPI question, case in point, this post.
Why might you want to learn the winAPIs. One you might not have VC++ or any other IDE that supports MFC. Two MFC wraps the win APIs and so by learning the API youll have a deeper knowledge of MFC when you do move on (and you will want to eventually). Some things the Api is still used for are some graphics systems like Genesis 3D(an open source 3D engine) uses it for window and message handling. It would take a long time to become proficient using the Win APIs and i would recommend spending a little time learning the basics. but if you are doing GUI programming you should definetly move to MFC.

Hi, I'm fairly new to programming in Windows. I've had a lot of experience programming on Macs in the past using the Mac Toolbox (equivalent of API). I've noted there are pros and cons to each method: Usign the toolbox (API) you can feel that you have more control over certain things PLUS you can gain valuable experience of 'real' hands-on programming, that is, understanding how things work at the lower level. However, when I moved across to Windows I chose the Visual C++ approach. Why? Because I needed to get my program up and running quickly.
I also have a copy of DevC++ compiler but have yet to delve into the world API programming for Windows. I'm looking forward to learning this someday when I have the time so it'll give me a clearer understanding of what's happening in the code.
I would suggest you do the same kind of thing. Invest in VC++ to start with. You'll get things done faster without having to worry about the nitty-gritty stuff. When you feel more comfortable and your curiosity gets the better of you, try going into API. Once you've done both you can then decide the best for you.

You can read. Programming Windows by -Charles Petzold. Everything is given in that book. I have working with Win32 APIs and MFCs since 2.5 years. If you have any questions please let me know?

You can read. Programming Windows by -Charles Petzold. Everything is given in that book. I have been working with Win32 APIs and MFCs since 2.5 years. If you have any questions please let me know?

MFC is good for getting and application user interface working. Using the class wizard it is easy to modify and add features to the user interface. This makes development time a lot shorter. Sometimes MFC applications can run a little slow. Most of the time this is not a problem. I would say learn MFC first then learn the API to have more control.

-Chris

-Chris (Consultant / Software Engineer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back