Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win3.11 can't run on Pentium4 2.8Ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

decem

MIS
May 28, 2004
US
I install Dos 6.22 and Windows3.11 on computer HP D530 CPU P4 2.8GHz,HDD 40Gb, Ram 512Mb , VGA intel 32mb.after install and reboot win3.11 finished I typing command "c:\>win" but windows show only welcomescreen then return to "C:\>" again.

Thanks you

Decem

*Current Config.sys*
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS X=d000-d7ff
BUFFERS=15,0
FILES=30
DOS=UMB
LASTDRIVE=E
FCBS=4,0
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,12048 =C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DOS=HIGH
STACKS=9,218
*Current Autoexec.bat*
LH /L:0;1,45456 /S C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS

I may be off here as I haven't tried runnin 3.x on anything faster than a PII.. But there's a good (very good actually) chance that your system is just too much for the poor little 16 bit OS.

Not that its any of my business, and not that it matters, but why not just spend 26.00 on a good ol 486 or 35.00 for a PII and save the P4 for a OS more deserving (Linux) ;)

CPU speed should not be a problem. Sounds more like you have Upper Memory Block (UMB) or video driver issues. Did you get a chance to select video driver during the install? Also, is your Windows - for Workgroups? If yes, did you select a network card during the install?
Looks like you ran memmaker. I personally never fully trusted it.
For starters, exclude entire UMB area, i.e. change line in your CONFIG.SYS:
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS X=B000-EFFF

And we'll take it from there.

Unrelated advice - create C:\TEMP directory on your HDD and change the TEMP line in AUTOEXEC.BAT:
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
It has nothing to do with your problem, but it will make "cleaner" configuration.

Good luck.

FWIW, I've gotten Win3.11 installed on a P3 600MHz

Hello decem,
If you preped the 40gig drive with Dos then you would have had to create 20 2gig partitions. Which means you need to change the LASTDRIVE=E to LASTDRIVE=Y or Z in the Config.sys

Has this problem been resolved?

All I can think of is:

1) A bad install (try scandisk on floppy, make sure that you have OEM of 6.22--MS changed the floppies to 2.88 [I believe] so that a "diskcopy" wouldn't necessarily work to copy the OEM...which may also mean that scandisk may not work as well.)

2) Confirm that PROGMAN.EXE [or was it PROGMGR.EXE?] is the default startup program/shell by taking a look at your 'c:\windows\*.ini' files.

Microsoft did indeed use DMF [Distribution Media Format] for most programs that required more than 4 or 5 floppies. It is about 1.68MB so as to hold more. They also couldn't be copied by DOS. The first disk was a normal 1.44HD with files to get the rest of them read. Looking at my Win3.xx disks shows them to be the normal HD format, not DMF, but the Office 4.3 floppies are DMF.

This sounds very much like a graphics driver problem.

As this is a new(er) machine it is unlikely that the drivers exist for 3.11. However, if you run setup from the Windows directory, you will get the blue Text based setup screen you should have seen when setting this up in the first place.

Try changing the graphics driver to VGA or VGA 3.0 (From memory) This will give some graphics output, but not up to the standard you would get if you have the correct drivers.

Hope this helps.

Andy

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy (Monty Python's The Life of Brian)

Since this thread is a year old, it's pretty much a moot point. :)

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back