Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2KSrvr & Win2K3 in same farm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2001
IE
Hello folks, I've been trawling through Citrix.com and Google in general but can't find what I looking for......
We're moving from Win2K MFXPaFR3 up to Win2K3MFXP3 (followed @ some later stage from in2K3MFXP3 to Win2K3 MFPS4......long story), anywho.....
In the immediate short-term there is a requirement to offer Win2K3MFXPa on by "some" of the farm members.....
I know I read it somewhere, but can't for the life of me find where......but are there any issues relating to a Multi-OS farm & the Zone Data Collector?
Or is this an area to be aware of during the server upgrades/rebuils itself........

Rgds,
Peter Mannion.

Citrix will tell you that all servers in the farm should use the same OS, SP levels, patches etc., and this is good practice. However, it is possible to have servers running different OS' in the same farm. Regarding the data collectors - all other things being equal, the servers with the later OS will win DC elections, but you can override this behaviour in the farm, Zones node of the management console if desired. Check out support.citrix.com for latest bulletins regarding installation of XPa on W2k3 (you will most likely find a few hotfixes there), and my advice would be to avoid SP1!

Much obliged, out of curiosity though....what would would happen (issue/problem wise) if the Win2K3 servers bacame the ZDC's for the farm? Should I set the preferred ZDC to be one of the Win2K servers?
And say during the step by step upgrade path (win2K > Win2K3).....leave the last server to be upgraded to be the Win2K ZDC?

Rgds,
Peter Mannion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back