Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2kpro perpetual boot-

Status
Not open for further replies.

joat25

Vendor
Jan 26, 2001
US
greetings all-

i have a win2kpro desktop that has been operating fine for a year now. no new software or hardware has been installed, but the computer will not boot now.
get the starting windows 2000 screen, and even the splash screen but after that, just reboots itself.
I had another pc like this at a different client a while back and it turned out to be a bad harddrive. tried all of the startup options, nothing makes a difference.
any suggestions would be appreciated. user has a ton of info on this and i'd like to avoid a reinstall.

Try a Win2K repair. Boot with the Win2K installation CD, and select the repair option.

Possible to bring up the Win2k recovery console and get it into safe mode? If not, do you have an emergency repair disk?

thanks for the suggestions, but already tried those, no go, just keeps rebooting.
won't even go into safe mode.
repair console says it can't find any copy of 2000 on the disk.

my guess is that some part (probably the boot) of the physical disk failed.

unfortunately, the client did not have an emergency repair disk.

looks like a new drive and rebuild!
thnx again

If you can get into the Recovery Console then you should be able to run a fixmbr and then run a repair with the cd. The repair process should find your installation. Try this site It helped me out with a similar problem when my XP/Win2k server machine wouldn't boot. If the repair still can't find your installation then you could have corrupted system files. I had this problem so I changed the attributes of ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini so I could overwrite with good copies of these files from the Recovery Console and it worked like a charm.

I had this same problem 3 times in one week.
Copied the Ghost image back over the top on 2 occasions and it worked, but whenever I went to reboot - kept restarting again & again.
Finally received a message "Primary Hard Disk fail"

3 strikes - I was out.
Got a new hard drive the next day.

I had this problem when I disabled the agp graphics card in the bios on a machine don't know if this is related but by enableing it again it was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back