Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2KPro completely FREEZES on P4 1,7Gig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello folks,

I need your help. my new P4 crashes down every time i use it. sometimes after 5 Min, sometimes after 1 hour. it completely freezes. Ctrl/Alt/Del doesn´t work! no more mouse movement.
Perhaps power supply prob??????
Using Win2k Pro SP2 on Netware 4.11 Server
Thanx in advance,

Homer_Jay

The power supply would be the first thing to check. I had built my own P4 system and I did not have the correct power supply for a P4 (they are different than P3 and lower) and I had the same problem you are describing. As soon as I put in the correct power supply, the problem went away.

Hope this helps.

When you say freeze, do you mean hard freeze? No HD LED activity, can't turn on or off the Num lock or Caps lock on keyboard?

Also, is the event log reporting anything? Like maybe a save dump? Or some device is wigging out?

Need more info, could you give us your mobo, memory, and video card specs?

jade>:):O>

I have the same problem on a P3 IBM laptop. There's no HD LED activity and I can't turn on or off the Num lock or Caps lock on the keyboard. If I'm scrolling down the screen when it happens, there will be a horizontal break in the screen where the image changes.
The event log reports nothing.

I'm also having this problem of Win2K crashing hard and often. I have a AMDXP1600+ 512mb ram Radeon LE 32mb. 99% of the time my system will crash while browsing websites, I have tried the repair option of IE6.0 which seems to help abit but now it seems to have resorted back to old times. My system completly locks up, NO HD light, NO ctrl+alt+del, only a reset or a cold boot will get me back up. I have checked the event log and the minidumps but nothing to speak of.

If anyone else is having this problem or something simlar and have found a fix let me know and I'll do likewise!

Thanks

in Network properties, advanced settings, make sure Microsoft is the first provider

There is possibility that the pc displays more data than the video is able to process. Right-click on the desktop, choose Properties, then Settings, then Advanced, then Troubleshooting. Set your Hardware Acceleration to a low level, 20-40%. Click Apply everywhere.

Best

Kuppa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back