Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k3 SMTP/POP3 Authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoney066

Technical User
Feb 25, 2004
US
I just helped a friend fix his smtp server in win2k3 server (was blacklisted) by only allowing his ip range to relay email. It's working great, the only issue is the email clients cannot send mail outside of this network. They want to be able to send mail from home (getting mail works fine.. pop3)

I've yet to get the authentication piece working in the smtp setup, does anyone have any info/web page that has complete information?

Also, can the smtp service use the user/pass from the pop3 database or does it have to be a local/domain user.

Thanks

I should prb clarify what i meant by "the email clients cannot send mail outside of this network". They can send email outbound just fine as long as they are on the network that is configured in the relay section. If they are at home, they cannot send mail since they are a dynamic ip/dns and are not in the relay config.

thanks

Should work fine with dynamic dns if you can setup SMTP authentication. I have an exchange server that is setup that way. Mail cannot be relayed unless the user has been authenticated. The authentication credentials are taken from user accounts of the Domain.

We had to add a user server/user under the security tab in the smtp properties. The pop3 user database and windows are different, though I noticed with another 2003 server that when I added a pop account it prompted me if I wanted to add this email account to the windows domain. The other server doesnt have that option so we will prb go with a static user.

Isn't there an option to automatically create mail accounts when you create user accounts on the Domain? For instance with my NT 4.0 and Exchange server, when i add a user to the Windows domain, a mailbox is automatically created by Exchange for that user. Maybe its diff for IIS, i haven't tried it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back