Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k3 Server Hard Drive #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejazz

Programmer
Nov 3, 2000
US
I'm trying to install a 2nd hard drive on a computer using Windows 2003 Enterprise edition.

My bios startup knows the drive is there.
Win 2003 "System" knows it's there.

EXPLORER and MY COMPUTER don't show it though.

I've switched hard drive power cables already in case there was a defect but the problem didn't change.

The drive was previously formatted on an XP-Pro machine and is an ATA 80Gig by Maxtor. Maxtor installation software does not appear to support Win 2K3 as yet ... but my main drive is a Maxtor of smaller size. (Both are ATA drives.)

Why is the smaller Maxtor recognized but not the larger?

I'm running an HP ML110.

Help!

Things to try:

1. Upgrade BIOS version.
2. Check if it can be seen in Disk Management
3. Check the security on that HDD maybe you are not allowed to do anything with it.
4. Boot on DOS and run Fdisk to check if the HDD is there, delete and recreate a partition as a test.

I think you may have simply forgotten this step:

Check if it can be seen in Disk Management

Right Click My Computer, Choose MANAGE

Highligh DISK MANAGEMENT...on the right hand pane, you should see your C: drive. A wizard may pop up and tell you that a new drive has been found. Just go through the wizard and the new drive will appear in Explorer.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Disk Management did the trick! Thanks for your assistance!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back