Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win2k3 dhcp / slow? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

flagurugrl

Technical User
Nov 3, 2005
US
I have a question for anyone that can answer... Does installing DHCP slow down win2k3 in anyway? I installed this service last week and immediately after my server started acting funny {stalling, not responding} so I uninstalled the service and now server seems to be running smoothly. So I guess the real question is, is anyone else having the same issue or is it an install problem {I am a newbie and could have gotten it wrong}. Im also conflicted, not sure if I really need to utilize DHCP we are a small network with only 25 pcs installed. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Well 25 pcs are more than enuff to keep track of, so i would recommend dhcp. Using the wizard isnt that difficult so ty it again, also check out sites like for help.

You can also use another device (router / dsl modem etc) to handle dhcp for network if for whatever reason you experience problems on the server

Mastersmurf, Thank you soooo much for your quick response!

If you are running under a domain, there are a few extra steps to make sure your DHCP runs.

If you use a router on your connection to the internet, go ahead and use it for DHCP for such a small network. Also, have your DHCP pass two DNS addresses to your clients: your DNS server first and your ISPs second.

A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

Seaspray0,
I am running under a domain could you tell me what extra steps that I would need to take?

Currently the router is handling the DHCP but what I wanted to know is if I setup DHCP using server2003 will this help with my slow loging in and out since each computer would be set to use a certain ip address at all times?

If you setup DHCP on the server, and you are running a domain, it will not activate until you "validate" your DHCP server with your domain. Once you have your scopes configured and have the scope paramaters ready to pass (set the gateway to your router, pass out DNS to your server) then deactivate the DHCP service on the router and active your scope to pass out addresses. I suspect the slow login is related to DNS and not DHCP. If your client PC's are attached to the domain, they need to be using the DNS server first over your ISP's DNS server. If you delete the "." zone in your DNS server and set a forwarder to your ISP DNS server, your clients only need to point to your DNS server and won't even need the ISP's DNS server (Your DNS will forward to the internet for their requests). Your clients need to find the service records in DNS to your domain controller to complete the login. If you go to the ISP's DNS first, you will get a delay.

If you want to see if the DNS is the issue to the slow login, set the TCP/IP properties of a client's NIC to manually use your DNS server and if the speed improves...

If the speed is still slow, then also manually set an IP address and log in. If the speed improves, then it is DHCP.

If neither of these improves the logon speed, see how many GPO's you are loading to the client (temporarily dissable them to see if speed increases). If you are using roaming profiles, this will slow things down as well. Use a network monitor on the server to capture packets comming from and going to the client during a login. This can give you an idea of what may be going wrong.

A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

THAT WAS THE BEST EXPLANATION THAT I HAVE EVER GOTTEN thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooo very much.... You explanation of dns was clear understandable and very very helpful....

Actually, after re-reading it, it looks fuzzy to me; I was typing fast. To validate your DHCP server, it must be authorized with active directory. You'll know it's running when you see the green up arrow by the server.

The DHCP options that you need to pass are option 3 (the default gateway is the IP address to your router), option 6 (IP address to your DNS server and optionally your ISP's DNS server).

If you are using WINS, then pass option 44 (IP address to your WINS server) and option 46 (the method used to resolve NetBios names, usually 0x8)

If you feel inclined, you can pass option 15 (Name of your domain i.e. Mydomain.org)

A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back