Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN2K3 64bit MySQL 64bit standard ASP app. oleDB toubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustinSpace

Programmer
Mar 17, 2008
ES

We have a WIN2K3 64 bit OS with MySQL 64 bit with the 64 bit MyODBC driver installed and showing up in the MS Datasource Manager and looking good.

However, when we try to connect remotely to it or run our standard ASP (not ASP.NET) web application against it...we get nothing.

The following error when trying to connect via ASP:

'@ADODB.Connection error '800a0ea9'

Provider is not specified and there is no designated default provider.'

Error 10060 when trying to connect via the MySQL Administrator remotely.

We are able to connect to it locally with the MySQL Administrator, and third-party management and query tools...but not remotely.

I have done a port scan and the DB is not listening on the standard 3306 port

the my.ini file and the admin tool both say it should be.

I have checked the local variables and the skip-networking is set to OFF.

I have created a new user with remote privilages

but still nothing.

It is not a firewall issue as we have many other services showing up in the port scan and we have no firewall in front of it at this time.

A mid 2007 post on a related MySQL forum indicated that it is a matter of Microsoft not having a 64 bit oleDB bridge for the WIN 2003 64 bit OS and that the MySQL 64 bit driver is only for applications that can access the ODBC API directly.

This is where we get a bit lost. I am uncertain if standard ASP requires an oleDB bridge to the ODBC API or if this can somehow be taken out of the equation and also if the remote connection issues are even connected to this issue?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated...any workarounds or similar experiences...hopefully with happy endings, hehehe.

I think the first thing to so is connect localy to the mysql server on the windows box and issue the following
show variables like 'port';
so we can see which port should be listening.
The issue a show variables like '%log%' and look specficaly for log_error which should point to something like .\<servername>.err
Mine is in c:\program files\mysql\mysql server 4.1\data.
Or you could just look there directly and it will tell you the port if it is running or maybe the reason why it didn't start any comms.
Interesting to know your results

Hi Ingresman, thanks for the tip about the log file...I did the var check like you first suggested and it shows up as the standard 3306

then I went to the .err log file...and this is the last few lines...which seem to show all is well

080318 12:57:10 InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 714950
080318 12:57:12 [Note] C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin\mysqld-nt: ready for connections.
Version: '5.0.51a-community-nt' socket: '' port: 3306 MySQL Community Edition (GPL)

The only thing that looks a little suspicious is the socket: value of ''

how does it look to you?

Thanks again for the reply!

My log file has:
080319 9:41:43 InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 55675
C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1\bin\mysqld-nt: ready for connections.
Version: '4.1.22-community-nt' socket: '' port: 3306 MySQL Community Edition
(GPL)
So much the sme as yours
Have you tried a issueing a netstat at the command line (really glad your on windows !) to see if 3306 is mentioed at all.
I'm wondetring if the port is being used by somethig else.
I tried to telnet to the server using telnet localhost 3306 and it told me the version of my server so I'm fairly convinced that I'm able to connect to my server.
Can you try that on yours to see if you can connect at such a low level.
My thoughts are that for some reason the port is not open for connections, so lets try from that angle.
Just out of interest fo you know if the 32 bit version will run on 64 bit windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back