Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingman1

Programmer
May 28, 2000
US
Hello is anyone using the latest MySQL on the Windows 2000 server. I am trying to figure out if it more of a UNIX toy or a real good substitute for MSSQL 7. I know that it seems all I find is info on how to use it with UNIX and how to script it with PHP. I do not see much of anything about scripting it with ASP is it possible. I also wondered if it supported the auto increment feature as well.

Steve Hagerman
Admin@Advancedisp.com
I did it my way!

Yes, all of the above is possible. Being primarily a Unix-oriented product, though, I doubt it would perform as well under NT, or that it would be as fast as MSSQL7.

I work with MS SQL 7, Oracle 8i and MySQL 3.23.27 with Windows 2000. I also develope apps with Delphi 4.0 with MySQL ODBC and direct access components (VCL for MySQL) from
Actually MySQL is the fastest SQL server because the mechanism is very simple, but it lacks the importante features like store procedure and transaction but it is very easy to code around to simulate it.

MySQL is not a toy, it is a real SQL solution. For a small to medium sized database, MySQL will serve you perfectly. For a big sized database app, enterprise solutions like MS SQL and Oracle will serve better, because all the structure can be coded with it.

To access MySQL with ASP, you can use MyODBC for Windows NT/2000 without problems.

MySQL supports the auto_increment field propertly just like the Identity in MS SQL.

Hope this helps.

Hey that program you wrote is just the best thing around. I like it alot. I see that it has alot of GUI features that enable you to fully manipulate the database server from A-Z that is so nice. Your program I feel will go along way to help MySQL gain in popularity and usage. That was a major thing that I looked for was the ability to use a GUI console. I just can't get over it; it is just so good no BS at all. Can I put a link to it on my site. Steve Hagerman
Admin@Advancedisp.com
High Speed Internet access & services!

Dear All,

How to create Store Procedure on MySQL 5A ?
When I try to create the SP, but always error

"You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ....."

But it very simple like,

CREATE PROCEDURE test1(OUT)
BEGIN
USE Mysql;
SELECT * FROM db;
END

Dear All,

How to create Store Procedure on MySQL 5A ?
When I try to create the SP, but always error

"You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ....."

But it very simple like,

CREATE PROCEDURE test1(OUT)
BEGIN
USE Mysql;
SELECT * FROM db;
END

Please help me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back