Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k will connect using ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

pldua

Technical User
Jun 18, 2003
CA
I have 2 pc's one is the ICS machine(XP PRo) which is directly connection to a cable modem. The other is networked using a Hub and uses the ICS through XP Pro. The second pc was running Win98SE until I upgraded to Win2k and it was fine when I upgraded it was able find the internet connection. The next day when I turned it on, the Win2k cannot find server(I use static IP). I checked the settings on Win2k million times and everything is fine as far as I'm concern.
The XP machine is fine and connects, but the Win2k cannot ping the XP machine's IP address, I tried pinging DNS 4.2.2.1 and all I get from all the ping's is "Request timed out". The Win2k can ping 127.0.0.1 and does get Replies from that. I uninstalled ZoneAlarm which I taught might be a problem, but problem still persists. I tried to install back my old OS Win98se by using a Win98 Start-up Disk but when it prompts A:\ and I type Format C:\u or C:\s it says that C: does not support Format or cannot be formated.
I would appreciate if anybody can help in pointing out what is problem with the Win2k connection OR why I cannot format C: using the Win98 Start-up Disk.
Thanks in Advance!

I can tell you with almost 100% certainty...the problem became worse when you uninstalled Zonealarm. Suggest you check out their pages for "uninstalling", and check out the M$ KB for their articles also. It's a nightmare and you'll probably never want to use Zonealarm again. Been there, done that.

...Mac

Humpty Dumpty was pushed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back