Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN2K VPN Problem with Cisco VPN 3000

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbhandari

MIS
Dec 29, 2000
US
Hi,
I am looking for WIN2K Pro. VPN problem.
My setup is:
Client==Internet===VPN===Internal LAN
All my servers on LAN are running WIN2K in mixed MODE, with "ABC"(Pre-W2K Domain) and "XYZ.COM"(W2K domain).
All Services are Running WINS,DNS,DHCP.

Problem:
Win2K pro. connects to the VPN, but unable to browse the Internal Network.
It is getting correct WINS,DNS/GW Address.
Access to resources with \\server is working.
MS Client is enabled on Dialup.

All win9x-me can browse the Network through VPN when there workgroup is set to "ABC". But same does not work for W2K.

I am using Windows PPTP VPN client.
I have tried the Cisco VPN client s/w also with procedure mentioned but no help.
Any suggestion will be appriciated.

-Bhandari

Hi Bendari, have you install NetBEUI in your Win2K Pro client?
Hop this help.

Are you running NAT on your VPN 3000? I know with older code you were not able to browse the network if you had NAT enabled. However this has been address in the most recent code of the VPN 3000 3.1. I think it was fixed in 3.0. The only think that confuses me it that you can browse the remote network with a 98/ME.

After rereading this issue I have another thought, Win 98/ME does not use a PDC (WInd2K Server) to be able to browse a network. Where WIN2K machines do. For example if you have 5 machines on a segment w/o a PDC and click network neighborhood in the 98/ME environment you will be able to see all the 98/ME clients. Do the same thing with WIN2K clients and you will see no one. Are you authencating login your VPN clients off of the WIN2K server? If not your WIN2K clients may not be joining the domain, hence not able to browse the network. ( I am thinking this is more the case than the first suggestion.)

Once a use VPNs in look on the WIN2K server to see if they have joined the domain.

Hope this helps.

HI!

1) On the W2K client and on the servers, check that the DNS domain name is the same, atleast for the VPN connection from client side.

2)
If it is important for you, and you haven't find a good solution,
then try with LMHOSTS on the W2K client.
See the example LMHOSTS.SAM
It should be something like:

x.x.x.x PDCservername #PRE #DOM:mydomain

Remember that you have to save the file as
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\LMHOSTS
with no extension
and to restart the client to take effect.

It would be strange if it helps, since you are using WINS, but both of us know that sometimes you get surprises.
Anyway you can try...

Bye
Yizhar

Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back