Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win2k + vpn + printer problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugz1

Technical User
May 22, 2003
CA
Hi, I am running windows 2k pro on my computer which has some shared directories and a shared printer. I am connecting via vpn into my company and getting a connection fine. They can ping, browse my shared directories but as soon as they try and connect to my printer (which they can see when they do \\mycomputername\printer and i have also used \\iptocomputer\printer) it gives this error message:
"Could not connect to the printer. You either entered a printer name that was incorrect or the specified printer is no longer connected ot hte server." Now i have checked the premissions and ive given everyone full access to the printer (manage and print) and the error message is comming back almost right away. I have reinstalled the printer and changed the shared name for the printeras well (which they can see on the other side) but they cant connect. The office trying to connect to my computer is a windows 2k (and we have tried a win xp pro box to).

the vpn client i am using is MUVPM 6.1.

anyway any suggestions would be great.

tks
Justin

I would say this could be a wins or name resolution issue. I have the same problems with some of my clients, although in their case its across a tunnel between a FB and a soho, shared printers are visible but not accessable or usable. I have pulled my hair out trying to make it work, although again in their case its NT4 not 2000.

Try adding a remote user locally to your machine, and giving them explicit permission.

AM

hey yah i have created the user rights on the box and given them full control on the printer. its really strange because it is right there...but im pritty sure dns is working tho cuz i can type in the name of the computer and it resolves the ip address.....so im not sure

any other suggestions?

Are you using MUVPN in shim mode or virtual adapter mode? If your using SHIM mode, you need to their specify WINS entires for your internet connection or create an LMHOSTS file. Virtual Adapter mode is better as it allows you to push WINS and DNS settings down to the client. Let me know if you require further info on set up.

By the way there are a few documented probles relating to Windows networking that have been addressed in MUVPN 6.1.1, so you may want to consider upgrading.

stiles123: Thanks for the info, i have now tried MUVPN 6.1 and 6.11 and i just tried it again and im still not able to map my network printer.

i tried using prefered for the virtual adapter mode and i get another connection (10.4 mbps) and the strange thing is that i can open internet explorer and i can get to the watchguard web site fine..and i can ping fine. but now when i try and open a shared folder \\server_name\folder_name i cant see it at all. is there something different that needs to be setup in virutal adapter mode??

thanks for your help

OK, when using virtual adapter mode, the Firebox's DNS and WINS server settings get pushed down to the client. You can see this by looking at the properties of the Safenet VA Adapter object under network connections.

try pinging a machine behind your firewall both by address and by name to see if you can talk through the tunnel. Also, check the properties of the Safenet Virtual Adapter and ensure that both client for MS networks and file and printer sharing are ticked. You'll need to disconnect and reconnect. Are you setting the virtual adapter at the Firebox end and regenerating the wgx file?

hey thanks for the response, now we dont have any settings setup on the watchguard soho. but earler i tried pinging with the virtual adapter and i could ping but i couldnt get any network responce. ill have to try it again this afternoon makeing sure the client for ms networks is chekced and i will also check what settings are being pushed to the virtual adapter.

stiles123: thanks for your help as now the vpn is now working

im reading up more on the virutal adapter but once we enabled that and clicked client for ms networks + file and printer sharing it worked fine!

Thanks again

Regards, Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back