Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win2K upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I wish to upgrade my exixting NT network to win2K as soon as possible but worried about the applications running and after install problems.Can anybody help me in detail in this regard?

My network and other details are as follows :-
--PDC- windows NT 4.0 with sp6a , also web proxy and socks server.
--BDC-NT 4.0 with sp6a. running....
IIS 4.0
Frontpage98 extension server
Sql Server 7.0
Mysql
PHP 4.0
tally 5.4

--many member servers to PDC
---many 98 and win2k professional clients.

please help ASAp..

thanx
pankaj
Calcutta, India

anyone..please help.I would be obliged to get ur valuable ideas.
thanx
pankaj
India

yea you can run winnt32.exe /CheckUpgradeOnly from win 2000 i386 directory.

not sure if it includes apps but worth a try

below quote is taken from winnt32 /?

"/checkupgradeonly
Checks your computer for upgrade compatibility with Windows 2000. For Windows 95 or Windows 98 upgrades, Setup creates a report named Upgrade.txt in the Windows installation folder. For Windows NT 3.51 or 4.0 upgrades, it saves the report to the Winnt32.log in the installation folder."

wilma,
i have tried ur suggestion but, its not for installed applications which is more important for me.

please help if possible about other things particularly BDC and applications.

one more thing.....what should be the sequence for upgrade,i mean what should be the order for uipgradation.
Thanx
pankaj

As far as your software goes, your best bet is to check with the manufacturer.

For upgrading to Win2k, always upgrade the PDC first. In fact, it's a good idea to force synchronization on your existing domain prior to upgrade, the unplugging the BDC from the network. That way, if it doesn't go well, you can always remove the upgraded Win2k, reconnect the BDC, upgrade to PDC, then re-install NT4 on original PDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back